Titans talking extension with DT Brown

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans News, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans News

Titans News Guest

Defensive tackle Tony Brown would like a contract extension, and the Titans have talked to his agent about giving him one.

But the clock is ticking before free agency starts on March 5.

"I think they’d like to do an extension,’’ agent Martin Magid said of the Titans. “But it’s kind of a wait and see with them — they don’t overpay. I know they like him, but liking and paying are two different things.’’

Brown had 61 tackles and 5 sacks with the Titans in 2009, his 5th NFL season.

If a new Collective Bargaining Agreement isn’t reached, Brown would become a restricted free agent, which means the Titans could try and keep him with a one-year tender. Under that scenario, another team has the option of signing Brown to an offer sheet, and the Titans would have the right to match any offer.

As a first alternate to the Pro Bowl last season, Brown’s one of the team’s most valuable free agents.

He’s been a steady performer in recent years, and a solid locker room guy.

“We’ve had some talks and the talks have been good. We are talking about an extension but nothing is concrete,’’ Magid said. “March 5 is approaching and he would love to be in Tennessee but they have his rights. Tony would love to get an extension and if a deal gets presented to us we think is acceptable I don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t take it. But he is caught in the system. If they put a tender on him we’ll see if other teams come marching for him.’’

2. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

It'd be nice to lock up Downtown Tony Brown for the long term. He's been a solid DT for us. Aside from that WTF moment against Indy, he's been a stand up guy with a great work ethic.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

If teams in the AFC South are smart they'd snatch him right from under us. Look what happened when we lost our other big time DT (Haynesworth), we sucked. If I was Indy, Jacksonville or Houston I'd call Tony Browns people asap. But now that I informed Tennessee of that, I am sure they will let him walk.

4. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Atleast the FO is talking to someone. If you listen to KBull or KVB, you'd think the entire FO is in Barbados and not returning phone calls.

I'll be very upset if he isn't playing here next year. He put the fear of God in the Indy O line. My friend that knows Donnie Nickey told me that the last time the Titans played the Colts, Tony Brown got in the face of Colts OT Tony Ugoh and Ugoh was said to have shed a few tears, kept coming out of the game while the coaches forced him back in and rumor has it that he had to change his soiled undergarments at halftime. All because of Downtown Tony Brown.

I dont understand why talent is penalized in this organization... We haven't payed anyone since the salary cap hell in the early 2000s. Coincidentally, we haven't won a playoff game since 2003. If you want pro bowlers, then under pay your players and make them out perform their contract.

If you want superbowlers, pay them like a Superbowler and make them earn their keep.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Haha, you may want to find some friends who actually respect your intelligence.

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

if we dont keep him, he will be gone quick. and our d will suck even more than last season.

7. vy102000

vy102000 Camp Fodder

Pretty sure it was meant to be a myth-joke..

8. AH3

AH3 Rookie

Thank goodness. We need to get this deal done.

9. TheBisco

TheBisco Pro Bowler

I think what you meant to say was "Downtown (Chattanooga) Tony Brown." He will be resigned.

10. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I want this guy to be a Titan for a long time. He's a solid DT and gives all he's got. I'd like to see him be more of a vocal leader for the younger guys like Jones and Marks.

And can we cut Haye? We paid way too much for that guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar