Titans talk to Heyward-Bey at Combine

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TitanJeff, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I'd love to get this guy. Maybe we could trade up a little to get him. He'd be a perfect fit on this team.

2. Young54

Young54 Starter

Well, you answered your own question. You said it your self, he COULD turn out to be the next Randy Moss. That right there is a good enough reason to think he could be more than a # 3. Even if he does become a Devery Henderson type or a Bernard Berrian, that would be perfect for the Titans. The Titans wouldn’t use Moss the way he’s supposed to be utilized. All we need is someone who can stretch the field and open up the running game. Then after pounding the ball over and over, can be open downfield for the play action pass. Without improving his game at all, that is what DHB would bring to the table right away. That alone, is what the Titans need.

If fact, the last thing we need is a diva receiver who wants the ball all the time. No matter how talented the receiver might be, the Titans will never focus the offense around them, and that would just create problems. Heyward-Bey doesn’t care about his stats. He is the perfect definition of a team player.

Now I agree that his route running needs improvement so he can become more of a possession/ first down receiver. But that’s the thing about Heyward-Bey, he knows he needs to improve and he wants to improve. He is willing to work hard and puts forth a great deal of effort to make himself better.

As far as his quickness and agility, I couldn’t disagree more. He might not be able to juke people out of their shoes, I’ll admit that, but he is extremely quick, especially in open space. You can clearly see that when he runs reverses and screens. He has a 4.18 in the 20 yard shuttle and 6.80 in the 3 cone drill. For his size, that is very quick. By the way, he is listed under the combine section of NFL.com as 6’2’’, and his combine video said 6’1 5/8’’. I don’t know where you got that 6’0’’ from.

continued...

3. Young54

Young54 Starter

What was most impressive at the combine to me, wasn’t his 40. Your right, his speed was expected. If fact, I know he can run in the 4.2s. But what wasn’t expected was his vertical jump and his catching ability. So many people are quick to criticize his hand, but I have no idea why. He had an impressive gauntlet. He caught all the balls away from his chest and even managed to tap his toes on the last catch, which was thrown late. Maclin actually dropped a pass and caught another against his chest. If you watch closely, you notice Darrius looks all the balls into his hand and then quickly turns to find the next one. He showed great concentration. The only downside was that he didn’t runt perfectly straight. From watching him play, I don’t remember a single time where he dropped a significant pass, actually I don’t remember him dropping any passes. I do recall a number of potentially great plays where he was open downfield but the throw was atrocious. So I’m interested to know what two drops you saw.

I know he’s not Larry Fitzgerald when it comes to catching the ball at it’s highest point. That’s something he can work on. However, he has shown the ability to do so. If you watch some of his highlights there is two plays in particular where he did a great job snatching the ball out of the air. One was a long TD catch that was completely under thrown. The other was about a 20 yard TD catch that was a running back pass. The ball was thrown behind him, he stopped short and jumped for it.

The thing that probably impresses me the most about him is his character. He is always looking for ways to improve his game and does not demand the ball. He went a few games without a catch and he never took a play off or complained. He is determined to help his team. He knew Maryland focused on running and he became a great blocker. Always showing great effort.

Check out this video to find out more about him. There is no way you can’t like this kid. Click here: http://www.umterps.com/fridgetv/ . Go to “All-American/All-ACC, and click his name. (while your there you should also watch the Vernon Davis highlight, it's awesome)

WHEW!!!

btw... thanks for respnding!

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Ehhh. I won't say I don't like him. But in round 1? I hate him. Round 2? Sure, I like him. Doesn't matter though, we won't pick him. Whether we want to or not.

5. Young54

Young54 Starter

Did you watch the vid?

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Yep. I saw a guy using track speed and was still constantly caught from behind by average players.
    He's just another tall fast guy. The Matt Stafford of receivers. Doesn't matter how fast you are or how far you can throw- if you can't utilize either in a game, it's useless.

Seeing a guy with that speed get caught from behind so often in college isn't a good sign. Track speed and game speed are different. He has track speed.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

His highlights are no better than anyone else. His production was no better either.

Anyone who would dare invoke the name of randy moss on these boards should be shot.

Nice job blowing up your whole post be mentioning vernon davis a huge disappointment. So bey is the vernon davis of this draft?

8. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

there are so many teams ahead of us in need of a good WR.

Theres teams that need a Defense really bad but will grab a WR. i dont think there will be any left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar