Titans Swaying Toward OL not DL in Draft?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by dtm586, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

We pick up a DL later on every year. If we take a DL we need a star. Not another depth guy.

2. Ewker

Ewker Starter

and when is the last time the Titans took a stud OL and not a project in the later rounds

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Im back and forth on this everyday. I'll be happy with either, I'm just trying to get the best value here.

Guard at 10 seems wrong, but then again having Amano play Guard again is more wrong.

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

DL:

Morgan got better and better as the year went along. By week 17 he finally looked like the Derrick Morgan we wanted 3 years ago. He had the highest pass-rush-productivity rating (via PFF) after Week 6... out of ANY player in the NFL. He still have alot to prove, but he's a solid starter. Wimbley sucked all year. Mostly because he did get doubled and played two many snaps. Would benefit from a bigger 0-tech NT to asorb blockers, as well as a better rotation. However, with his contract I expected a LOT more. Solomon - no comment needed, he's a late round rookie and I expect nothing. Zero other depth, Wynn was alrigth actually. Ayers lines up as DE in Nickle occassionally, and did well at it. Still need a 2nd-3rd rounder for depth purposes and a cheaper FA. Tank Carradine in the 2nd is the guy I target.

OL:

Trash most of the year. Velasco/Harris are FAs. Amano is coming back, but should be cut. Hutchinson has more time according to his contract, but needs to retire/be cut. Roos/Stewart had an off year, but still are better than alot of starting OTs. Our interior OL needs to be redone, starting with the drafting of Warmack and resigning of Velasco. Another guard needs to be found via free agency.

OL >>> DL

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. The Hammer

Roos, same year they took Pacman-2005. before that it was Jason Layman in 1996, also second round, who ended up a bust. Before that it was Brad Hopkins, first round, in 1993.

Not a good track record there.

6. Ewker

Ewker Starter

so only one OL drafted in the 1st round since 93 and this is for a team that wants to run the ball

7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Gotta go OL at #10. UNLESS a bonafide defensive player is still on the board. I'm cool with going defense is the value is there but OL is definitely a bigger need.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. The Hammer

Remember, there are plenty of good OGs available in FA. Not so much on the DL.

9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'm really starting to hope we pickup a defensive player in the 2nd round.

Tank Carradine would be my favorite. Another option would be Johnathan Hankins or Jesse Williams.

Hankins can be a monster, but scares me. He's 6'3 320, but has a ton of body fat. Google him and look at the tire around his waist. That's not a bad thing, but makes me question his weight & fat v. muscle ratio. Also his production got worse; sophomore season in 2011 (67 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, three sacks) to a somewhat underwhelming 2012 (55 tackles, four tackles for loss, one sack), he elected to leave a potential BCS title contending Buckeyes program early, prompting some to question how much of his motivation is financially-based. He has the tools to be a solid defensive tackle, and a 0-tech tackle... which is needed here.

Jesse Williams is a solid 6'3 323 and ran a 4.94 with 30 BP.

I just really want us to pickup the traditional 0-tech run stuffing NT. There's plenty available:

Star (1st)
    Hankins, Jesse Williams, John Jenkins (2nd)
    Brandon Williams, Syvester Williams (3rd)
    Montori Hughes, TJ Barnes, Kwame Geather (4th+)

Get me one of those guys in this draft, please.

10. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I also wouldn't mind going Fisher in the 1st either. A popular opinion on this board is moving Stewart to OG and if the Titans actually did consider this then Fisher would be the best pick available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar