Titans "strongly" considering Locker at 8

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TheSureThing, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You guys do remember the recent history of the draft right? After Bradford was taken one when was the next QB to come off the board? Tebow 25th. Nobody was throwing away high picks on 2nd rd caliber prospects.

Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy were 2 of the most accomplished Qbs to ever play college football. Yet McCoy was a 3rd rd pick and Tebow the 25th pick.

How then can we justify Jake Locker as an 8th pick?

I understand that McCoy did not have the prototype size, similar to Dalton. And while a great runner in college he only ran a 4.79 40. He was also coming off an injury but seriously how in the hell does a player like that make it through the 2nd rd?

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Fans can get more film and info than ever but few have the knowledge to evaluate it properly.

Fans don't get to interview the players which I think is essential for evaluating a QB.

So, no. You, I or anyone else on this forum can't evaluate these QBs better than the teams because we don't have access to all the information available or the knowledge of what we need to be looking for. Even those teams with all the info available on these guys are right about half the time on their first-round picks.

But feel free to prove me wrong by ranking the top eight QBs in the order you feel they'll be in production three years from now and we'll check back and see how accurate you are. ;)

3. turnNburn

turnNburn All American NCAAF Gamer!

I'll get behind their decision if they do end up taking Locker. And it will take some time to groom him with this offense (like any rookie QB) But impatience is a huge part of human nature. Meaning us Titan fans wants to see results, and results fast!.. For 4 straight years we were relatively a threat in the NFL (06-09) And whether any Titan fan wants to quote un quote ROCK THE BOAT or not; results need to happen!

4. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

yea i think how the players come off in real life can tell you a lot about them, after watching Gruden interview the QB's i can tell Andy Dalton is a shy kid who will be abused in the NFL until he grows up and acts like a man. Mallet is gonna be a solid passer but he is gonna have attitude problems with the coaches and team mates. Newton is all about the Cameras and fame imo. his effort on the playbook will be his biggest problem. Ponder reminds me Leinart , he could be a hit or miss depending on his decisions in the pocket.

Locker seems solid with a good head on his shoulders but he may be to big headed and will learn quick that the NFL isnt as easy as college.

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

If some of you guys were even 10% as good at scouting players as you like to pretend you are, every team in the NFL would happily give you a position as an intern in the scouting department. Prove you are as good as you say you are and start working for a pro team.

Until you do that, stop talking about how great you are. Make all the scouting predictions you want and we'll judge you on your record. But until you quit working at the box factory and start working as a pro, you don't get to talk about how you're better than the pros.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Well put. This is what I've been trying to point out for awhile now. This group of QB's will slip and slip far. GM's no longer reach on QB's if there are any questions/red flags, and this entire group has plenty of questions. If we reach for Locker at eight, we are going to regret it big time because I'm certain there will be some very good guys on the board at 39...

7. turnNburn

turnNburn All American NCAAF Gamer!

exactly, some QB's predicted High 1st Rd. could end up mid 2nd; Quarterbacks slip, always have, always will.

8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I don't think you can look at what happened with QBs last year only and conclude that it's a law of the draft now. It was one year.

Some years, teams wait for QBs. Some years, a bunch go early in the draft. All it takes is one team to start a run on QBs. It could easily happen this year.

Within the past couple of years, we've seen the Jets "reach"/"overdraft" (call it whatever you want) Mark Sanchez and the Ravens do the same with Joe Flacco. You could probably add Josh Freeman and Tim Tebow to that list, too. I expect the same thing this year with guys like Locker, Ponder and Dalton.

9. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Generally speaking, QB's tend to slip every draft. Some teams reach, but I think that idea has changed/is changing more and more. Even with the uncertainty with free agency I just don't believe that the majority of teams will reach with these QB's. Some will, I'm just hoping we are not one of them. Any QB in round 2 does not bother me, Locker, Kaepernick, Dalton, Ponder, whoever.

10. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

ok so now im changing my mind again. that is the beauty with these mock drafts and peoples personal opinions, both change daily or sometimes by the minute! everyone was pretty much sold on the titans grabbing a playmaker 1st round and a qb 2nd, as was my theory. nick fairly is on 90% of peoples mock drafts out there on the world wide web and on espn. everyone is set that fairly because of his red flags and poor work ethic goes from a top 5 pick down to the titans @ 8.

then out of nowhere earlier this week people come out of the wood works and say titans will draft a qb and will draft jake locker (who most feel is a 2nd round qb) with the 8th pick. now that it is reported the titans have interest half the forum jumped on the locker bandwagon, including myself. just like mock drafts peoples opinions change overnight! but with the draft now looming in less than a week im going back to my original theory that the titans need a playmaker like prince amukamara at cb or julio jones at wr and not jake locker and defenitly not ryan mallet @ 8!

but alas people will keep changing their minds and throwing out theories until were blue in the face. one things for sure i am hesistant if we wait till 2nd round and we cant land a decent qb were stuck with yet another year of kerry collins, assuming he doesnt retire since jeff fisher was his boy. therefore, wed be left with just rusty smith who looked terrible in his only start against the nfls 31st ranked defense in houston blaw. just hurry up draft and get here so people can start to complain or rejoice about who the titans draft!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar