Titans step things up on defense vs. Buccaneers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Strange, must have missed it.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I thought I saw Morgan getting some pressure throughout the game but I was watching on my Tablet so I could have been seeing someone else.

3. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

After getting knocked around by the Seattle Seahawks’ first-team offensive line in the preseason opener, the Titans wanted a much more aggressive performance from the defense against Tampa Bay.

They succeeded against the Buccaneers, piling up four sacks, four quarterback hurries and six tackles for loss.

Titans coach Mike Munchak said he noticed a difference in the defensive mentality as soon as the game started.

“Derrick Morgan hit the quarterback on the first play of the game,” Munchak said. “I think when you can do that, they’re thinking about it, especially when the quarterback’s not going to play a lot. I thought the energy at the line of scrimmage was good.”

Munchak noted that the Titans’ quarterback pressure came despite the fact the Buccaneers utilized a lot of pass-blockers.

“They were seven-man, eight-man protecting quite a bit, chipping both edges, trying to protect the quarterback and they were having trouble doing that,” Munchak said. “I think that’s a lot why they ran the ball in the fourth quarter instead of passing it because we were creating problems up front.

“We were winning one-on-ones, we were getting pressure on the quarterback. So instead of throwing the ball a lot in the fourth quarter when they were behind, they were handing it off. That’s a credit to the fact the guys up front were doing a nice job.”

A week earlier in Seattle, the Seahawks had totaled 135 rushing yards, bulling through the Titans on the first drive of the contest. But the Titans held the Buccaneers to just 82 rushing yards overall.

“When you have success (early), the energy level starts increasing and guys were winning at the line of scrimmage,” Munchak said. “We were making tackles in the backfield in the run game.

“We knew we’d be challenged with their run game, similar to Jacksonville, how they like to run the football downhill, the power game, the lead plays. I thought our defense did a nice job holding up to that, so that was a good test for that reason.”

Source: Titans Insider

4. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

I saw Morgan getting pressure a couple of times but in reality the whole defense was swarming on Friday. Morgan is not a guy who is going to get 10+ sacks a season but I don't think that 5-8 with providing good run support is out of the question.

Also Sen'Derrick "Question" Marks is going to be Sen'Derrick "Exclamation" Marks after this season. He is having a great preseason.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Locker didn't fare too well; and Hass didnt do much better. Tampa's secondary was quite good which could have been half the reason the passing game wasn't there. Sure Rusty did better, but it was against 3rd stringers. And yes our RB's were DOMINATING. But sometimes the defense has to step up and make plays to win the game...and they did not disapoint me. I see a much better well rounded performance Thursday VS Cardinals.

6. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Our D-Line looked scary similar to the defense we had when Bullock and Haynesworth were here. The only difference is that it was more of a collective effort. Sure we have some stars, but it seemed like everybody was swarming. Even when we missed tackles, we didn't give up huge plays and swarm the ball carrier. Their RB (not Blount but their rookie) was very good, and very elusive, but we did a good job containing him.

If our D plays like that every game, it won't matter how our offense does. Ask Kerry Collins :drunk:

7. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Loved what I saw from our D. Thought the LBs played especially well. I also like that it was a team effort and different players made plays on different downs. But, as someone mentioned earlier, I'm not sure that they don't just suck up front (on both sides of the ball) and it was a result of them being bad than us being good.

8. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

They did well in their 1st pre-season gaeme. I checked stats and analysis to see how they faired. They had a good game passing in their 1st game. All QB's had good passing numbers. In our game the QB couldn't even get into their drop. It literally seemed like somebody was close to the QB on every play but maybe 2 or 3. I don't think I've ever seen a game like that. Pre-season or regular season.

It's pre-season, so I'm not gonna draw too much. But our D looked pretty elite last night. If we play like that every game we'll be top 5 in turnovers for sure. Probably #1 in QB injuries.

Chea

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Eh, Tampa played a Miami team with a whole new coaching staff and defensive scheme. I don't think Tampa and the Cards are really gonna be good indicators of how our defense really is.

10. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

True, although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested to watch Kolb face our D after hearing that "he is scared" stuff.

And I hope we start Locker this week. If he can't shred a crap Cards D, he ain't ready. Of course, Hass has looked horrible too, so I guess we'd be screwed.

And they GOTTA get that line and those receivers straight this week. I'm not trying to say Locker didn't suck, but it would be nice if he got some blocking and some catching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar