Titans step things up on defense vs. Buccaneers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

TAMPA, Fla. The Titans made a number of big plays on defense in Friday’s 30-7 preseason win over the Buccaneers, which featured a pass rush that was much more effective than it was in week one of the preseason at Seattle.

Defensive tackle Sen’Derrick Marks, defensive end Derrick Morgan, defensive end Keyunta Dawson and linebacker Tim Shaw all had sacks, and cornerback Chris Hawkins had an interception. Marks forced a fumble that was recovered by defensive lineman Leger Douzable.

Defensive tackle Jurrell Casey was especially disruptive as well. The second-year pro had six tackles by halftime and his penetration changed plays in the backfield.

“Last week (coaches) called us out for not getting off the ball and not being explosive,’’ Casey said. “We tried to create some havoc tonight, and create a new line of scrimmage.”

The Titans didn’t just do a good job stopping the run — Tampa Bay finished with only 82 rushing yards. The Titans also held the Buccaneers to minus-1 net passing yards as the Titans outgained them 341-81.

“We started slow against Seattle, that wasn’t us,’’ linebacker Colin McCarthy said. “This week we wanted to run around and get off the field on third down. Defensively, we realized we had to do better and step up.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Very happy with the defense today. They looked completely different compared to last week and got a lot of pressure on Freeman.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

The defense played in their backfield all night. Our D-Line looked like the D-Line of old. Can't say how impressed I was with that group.

Our LB's were aggressive, fast, and punishing. Ayers, McCarthy, and Brown made some great plays tonight. Ayers and McCarthy should shine behind this year's D-Line.

The DB's played well. I think they ended with -1 passing yards??! While most of that was due to the D-Line, they did force some throw aways, incompletions, and turnovers. They looked like a solid unit. If our D-line continues to play like they did today, the DB's won't have to do much.

I like the way our D played tonight. We missed some tackles, but we didn't lack effort in the least bit. The best thing about our defense is that they're young.

4. ToddTheTitan

ToddTheTitan GoTitans Homer

They're only going to get better too. Scary for the rest of the league.

5. DownSouthPlayer

DownSouthPlayer Starter

was our D good, or their Oline really bad?

6. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Well, their line has been pretty good... and they just signed Nicks, who Skid Marks beat like a red headed stepchild...

I was also not impressed with Freeman at all... he has that forever and a day Byron Leftwich style windup, which probably helped us sack him.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I thought Freeman was horrible but you got to be as excited about the DL's play last night as down on them at Seattle.

I don't think they're as good or bad as they've played so far. I'll be looking for some consistency in the next two games. They have to get more from Morgan.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Morgan has been the biggest disappointment for me so far. Its like he sat around the whole off season and did not do anything. I wish we went after another DE because he does not look like he wants it.

9. titans backbone

titans backbone Rookie

I think if im not mistaken Morgan didn't have a bad game at all against the bucs. He got a sack and im not sure but i think he also got a really good hit right at the start of the game on Freeman as he delivered a pass. It's not as if he played a whole lot of snaps, what do you guys expect?

What i really like that i saw at the end of last season and apparently is starting to show more often is Marks ability to react quickly to the snap, hes pretty darn quick. That sack he got was very impressive

Also loved Dawson's sack beating his guy one on one, he just took him out of the way with no problem at all, would like to see him against some first teamers and see if he can actually make a play or 2.

Casey is as consistent as we will get out of a DT and ayers, brown and even diles did a pretty good job, i think he is holding his own to keep a roster spot, against backups yeah..but hes a backup. Maybe mccrath is on his way out?

I also saw a nice tackle by panel on blount and griffin made a good stop on a nice run.

Pretty happy overall

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Yeah Morgan put a good hit on Freeman on that 1st drive, and he came up with a sack. I think Morgan will be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar