Titans staff watching Kaepernick, Locker, very closely

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TorontoTitanFan, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Source: http://twitter.com/#!/OptimumScouting/status/29635971347648512

This is the first real evidence we have of who the Titans are considering. Could be a false alarm or a decoy, but I don't know why it would be at this point. Clearly the team is thinking about taking a quarterback early in the draft.

The latest reports on both of these guys are very good.

Mike Mayock on Colin Kaepernick: "Better athlete than Tebow. Huge arm to point where Eli and Peyton were 'giggling' at last year's Manning camp."

Mike Mayock on Jake Locker: "Watched 4 of his game tapes. With a clean pocket, he's a top-10 pick. Accuracy goes down when pocket gets crowded."

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

This is the first draft I have no idea what we should do. That 8th pick is too early for my liking, and knowing we've cut ties with several of our top picks isn't too promising.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I'm hoping we take one of the CBs

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I think this is actually the easiest draft for the Titans' front office in a while. As the adage goes, if you don't have a franchise quarterback on your roster and you have the chance to draft one, you never pass it up. The Titans definitely don't have a franchise quarterback.

The next couple months will give the Titans the time they need to evaluate all the QBs in the draft and the 8th pick should be high enough for them to get the guy who is at the top of their draft board. I don't think there's much point in scouting any position other than QB (at least not for a round 1 pick).

I think it will be Locker, but I don't get paid to scout guys. Let's all just hope the front office picks the right guy.

If Locker is what more and more people are saying he is (a guy who would have been a slam dunk #1 overall pick in some years but who was stuck behind a terrible offensive line that hurt his draft stock), then this might be the ideal situation for the Titans. He could be there at #8 and he might provide the kind of return you can only expect to get when you have the #1 pick in the draft.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I wonder if the scouts discussed Kaepernick's wardrobe?

6. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I pulled up Kaepernick on a few draft sites and they all said how he reminds them of Vince Young. No thanks. One even mentioned how he might have to move to WR in the NFL. Not quite what I'm looking for in a QB.

Locker on the other hand could be great. I know a lot of people are scared off by his inaccuracy, but he had a bad line and terrible players around him. I mentioned this in another thread but take this into account: Locker's completion % was 55% this past year, but he had 41 drops. If you take the drops into account, and make those completions, his completion % goes to 68%. Luck's % was 70 and people were calling him one of the most accurate QBs to come out in a while.

7. xBrah

xBrah Hope we get a new SS

say no to Colin Kaepernick. If Locker shows an ability to read defenses and move within the pocket, then it might be worth it..

I'd still rather go defense in the 1st though, as it stands right now..

8. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

How many drops did Luck have?

9. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

I still think Mallett is the best quarterback in this years draft.

10. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Locker at 8, no thanks. Trade down to the mid teens and pick up a 2 and take Locker, fine. I'm fine with Kaepernick in rounds 6 or 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar