Titans Staff Unified on Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorry, didn't see that. But I don't think that just because he said we don't have a franchise TE means he thinks Stevens will be one...

2. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

He was about average in yards per completion. He wasn't doing much different than anyone else.

3. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Right. We don't have one. Stevens may be one, he may not be one. I'm not assuming anything.

EDIT: Alge is one. Just not forever.

4. I don't consider Crumpler a franchise TE. Even putting aside his age and injury issues, I don't think he's a franchise TE.

He has been a very good TE for Atlanta, but he can't match what the best TEs in the NFL have done. He makes the pro bowl because he was in the NFC. But in the AFC, he wouldn't go to the pro bowl against guys like Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, or Kellen Winslow.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

We hold these Titan truths to be self-evident, that all players are not created equal, and that running backs are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable gifts that Wide Receivers are not, that among these gifts are time consumption, ball control, and boredom. That to secure these rights, drafts are instituted among Titans coaches, deriving their just powers from the consent of Fisher, not the fans — And whenever any form of passing the ball becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of Fisher to alter or to abolish a pass, or the drafting of a wide receiver, and to institute new form of running the ball; laying its foundation on such principles as protecting a lead, winning by small margins, kicking Field goals, and organizing its powers in such form, so that the Titans shall seem most likely to effect the increased consumption of time and subsequent decrease in fan happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Running the ball should not be changed for the light and transient causes of the fans; like throwing deep balls, scoring Touchdowns, and drafting wide receivers in any round or in any form whatsoever, and accordingly all experience hath shewn that fans are actually more disposed to suffer while passes are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms of passing to which they are accustomed to seeing by teams that have been in the superbowl. But when a long train of passing and thowing to wide receivers, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is Fisher's right, it is Fisher's duty, to throw off such ridiculous ideas, and provide new guards and running backs for the future security of running the ball. — Such has been the patient sufferance of the Titan fans; and such is now the necessity which constrains Fisher to alter the offense such that more runs are implemented with all due expediency. The history of passing is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of one loss after another. To prove this, let facts be submitted to a candid world.

- It was a lateral, not a pass. You saw the result.

- You cannot pass in crappy weather. Crappy weather is inevitable.

- Wide Receivers suck.

- Quarterbacks throw interceptions.

- Kickers win football games.

We, therefore, the united Coaches of the Tennessee Titans, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the tolerable fans of these Titans, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies coaches, and of Right ought to not draft Wide Receivers, that we are Absolved from all expectations to draft a wide receiver, and that all connections between Passing and the Tennesse Titans, is and ought to be totally dissolved. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

- The Titans Coaches.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Bennett had very average speed but ran good routes and had a much more accurate QB throwing him the ball. I think the only thing keeping our WRs from occasionally getting a deep ball is Young's inability to make the pass.

I'd be happy to see Young make a pass 12 yards down the middle of the field. That would open up a lot of opportunities for longer gains.

7. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

It seems they only take about one shot per game at longer plays. And even the times Vince gets it there, which he has, and everybody's praying it's caught, it's dropped.

But this is not my argument why we need a higher-profile WR (the dropped ball part), because what do you expect if you put so much pressure on one play? How can you succeed or develop any rhythm or skill if you get one chance every blue moon at something? There's no rhythm, no confidence (neither for the qb nor the receivers).

My argument for a higher-profile guy is that it would *force* the playcalling to go downfield, because you would know that "this guy will most always catch the ball if we can just get it there". It eliminates one half of the puzzle. As it is, between Vince as a young QB and the WRs we got, of whom we still can't identify who resembles our best week-in-week-out, there's a chicken and egg risk equation that usually results in a let's just run the ball or throw a quick pass reaction. If a TO, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith were on this team, it would force the offense to go downfield because the OC would know the problem's not on the receiving end, eliminate 50% of that doubt, and force Vince to either get better or fail more quickly by giving him game reps at this skillset that he doesn't currently get.

And even if Vince wasn't the guy, that type of WR would still benefit us immensely b/c it would mean less time we would still be trying to figure out what he could do with a WR we knew could play. It would expedite the thing either way.

8. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I'm guessing maybe Chow just didn't feel comfortable with him throwing over the middle, maybe... but I never understood why we seemed to ignore the middle last year. If you can't get those little 8-12 yard gains up the middle, the safeties are going to give great support to the corners on the out routes and the linebackers will stuff the run all day. Just what we saw last year.

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Not going to happen with his sidearm release. The ball comes out lower and then rises for anything over 5 yards. That stupid release negates his height when it comes to square and slant routes.

Before all the VY-maniacs get frothy- I like Vince but his release and his footwork have been holding him back from being a truly versatile QB. He can be a pro-bowler IMO if we allow/encourage him to run more, work the roll-outs and mis-directions, hit the slip screens and flats. I just don't ever see him working the middle of the field well not releasing the ball from the top.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You think Moss or T.O. don't drop passes? Young rarely gave a receiver a shot last season in anything over 25+ yards in the air.

Chow would set it up as he did with R. Williams in the Chiefs game. He called that same little out route a number of times and then faked it once. I believe that was one of Young's longest receptions of the year.

As long as Fisher is the coach, you won't see more than a few shots if the Titans are keeping the game close.

Are you saying "downfield" as in 25+ yard attempts?

If you've watched Titans football for a while, you know this will never happen because it goes against Fisher's style of play. And it certainly won't happen until Young develops as a passer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar