Titans Staff Unified on Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Does anyone here think Young is going to enter the season with a pinpoint laser rocket arm? I was hoping for a #1 WR out of this draft as much as anyone but few WRs make an impact right away. They make even less when the QB (and the offensive scheme) rarely throws the deep ball.

Though I have concerns about Johnson, if he works out as planned, he's a totally versatile weapon which will be productive from days one. Not only that, Dinger can scheme around him and open up the offense.

When Young develops, there will be opportunities to look at free agency again next season and/or the draft for someone the teams feels is true #1 material.

2. wycheck28

wycheck28 Starter

i didnt say it was a bad draft , i said chances are it was a bad draft... if you look at the titans needs before the draft i didnt see tight end or runningback on that list and we used our 1st pick on runningback... you would think after drafting runningbacks in the first 2 rounds over the last 2 yrs that position wouldnt be a need anymore but who are we kidding lets use our top pick on another one..awsome !also if you look at the top of that needs list it said WR for wide reciver... that was our top need and we didnt even make a dent on that need... a blocking tight end??? yeah we really needed that that was on the top of our list as well !!! yeah right!!! dont get me wrong i like the pick but i also liked it in the 5th or 6th round not the 3rd... then we go into the players that nobody new and one guy wasnt even on the nfl scout board which means he wasnt even supposed to be picked.. but you are right none of them have even seen the field yet but based on evrything we know i would say yes it was a bad draft but only time will tell...

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

:blah2: :blah:

calm down buddy.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

My beef about this draft was the strategy. Even with all the whitewashing, it is clear that we were going Sweed in round 2 but the Steelers got him. Either we didn't want him bad enough to trade up, or we simply miscalculated.

IMO- the Johnson pick was good. He IS a versatile weapon. The Round 2 Jones pick at DE- is questionable- maybe a reach. I'll give the benefit to Washburn because I believe he can just about coach up ANYBODY. If he wanted him bad enough for round 2- I believe in him enough to give it to him.

Round 3 was questionable because we could have traded up to get kelly, Bennett or manningham. But we didn't and I think our choice was good.

ROUND 4 IS THE LITMUS TEST. MR/JF are going to take alot of heat for this draft if he doesn't come out of the chute showing promise. We won't ever know if it was necessary to trade up for this guy or not- and because of that there will always be alot of doubt not over WHO or WHY we picked, but HOW and WHEN.

So in summary, I think it is COMPLETELY FAIR to criticize the strategy of WHEN we picked a player and HOW (trading up, not trading up) we did it. I agree it isn't fair to evaluate a particular pick because only time will tell.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Good point TJ. Maybe Dinger doesn't think he can have Vince "floater-free" until 2009.

6. wycheck28

wycheck28 Starter

yes but without a playmaking wide reciver dont you think we are limiting vince to what he can and cant do... yes vince can throw down the field and if you remember the 06 season vince and bennet hooked up deep numerous times deep, but without a player that can go get it deep he cant throw the ball down field.. also dinger likes to open up the offense but it is impossiable without fast wide recievers who can go get the ball... since we have so much invested in vince why wouldnt we give him the tools he needs to succeed but since we havent you will proably see the same lack luster offense that we saw and were so frustrated with last year...
    oh and since we lost pacman we will proably see the same horriable special teams play that cost us so much last year...

7. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

So you're telling me that Craig Stevens would have been around in the 5th or 6th round? Sure.

We needed a playmaker that could make a difference from day 1. CJ can do that. So, yes, he was a need. A top need, might I add. The fact that he's a runningback shouldn't matter.

You don't think a TE was a need? Crumpler is 31. Scaife isn't exactly a franchise TE. So, yes, we needed a TE.

William Hayes was on most if not all NFL TEAMS' DRAFT BOARDS. Does it really matter what Kiper and scout.com say? People that actually know what they're talking about in regards of the draft say he was a 4th round pick. I'll take their word for it.

8. wycheck28

wycheck28 Starter

what makes you think cj can make a differance day 1???

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I really like this post and agree with it. :yes:

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It is the chicken or the egg argument. Some say Young can't develop a deep ball without a burner but I think he can. Dinger was surprisingly good in '03 with McCareins, Mason and Bennett. I don't think anyone would say those guys were burners. But that was with McNair in his prime.

As long as Fisher is at the helm, we'll likely never see a lot of deep shots. It took McNair in his prime to get the Titans to go to a deeper drop and try for the stuff over 25 yards. He's not going to turn Young loose anytime soon.

Where they need Young to improve is the intermediate and short stuff (higher percentage).

Young could dramatically improve his game with the 10-12 pass if Dinger gets his feet right. Crumpler helps here. Our WR group will look much better if Young can deliver.

The 4-6 yard timing passes has to improve. Last year, Youngly hit receivers in stride and eliminated any chance for yards after the catch. That's 99% on Young, IMO. And here is where Johnson is a big weapon as he will be with the screen pass.

Young also may see a huge jump in production with that little, quick down the LOS pass where the WR gets the ball on the sideline. Johnson in space will be fun to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar