Titans sign Dick LeBeau

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dirk Diggler, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Run D would be seriously improved but still need OLB's and perhaps an upgrade of Woodyard to be special. But DWill does nothing for our pass rush and we need more than Casey and LWill rushing and I'd suggest pass D was our biggest problem. To fix that, we need a dominant OLB to rush the passer.

Worilds ain't it!

2. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

I get what you're saying, but I feel a good/great run d will really help the pass d. Our offense struggled because we would always end up in 3rd and long. If we can do that to other teams we would have a much better chance of getting off the field more consistently. This would help our offense as well, but they have their own problems to deal with which I won't get in to right now.

#182 Brew City, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Did you see how many 3rd and 15's to 3rd and 20's that were converted against us? Run D doesn't help with that nor to help hold a lead against a team that has to pass. Pass rush is much more important than run D. There are more situations in which you need the pass rush than you need the run D. You only need to look at the value put on QB, protectors of the QB and the guys trying to sack the QB. The best run stuffing NT will never be selected over an equally good pass rusher.

We were closer to a middle of the pack D vs the run and I think if we add 2-3 quality players to our pass rush and perhaps 1 upgrade on DL or ILB and our offense can stay on the field half the time, we could be closer to a top 10 run D while dramatically boosting our pass rush!

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'd love that. I'm hoping we could also use Hortons connection to get a steal in Jabaal Sheard. He ranked 9th of all edge defenders via PFF. He ranked 2nd against the run and tied for the 12th in coverage for all 3-4 OLBs. His biggest issue was he had just 2 sacks, however he did have 8.5 sacks his rookie year. He's just 25 & has exp playing w/ Horton. If the Browns don't use the transition tag (1y/$9.7m extension) then we could get him a look. I'd still prefer to offer mad cash to Houston, he's the elite pass rusher we are dying for.

Regardless, adding Leonard & Dan would solidfy our front 3, which is going to make our entire defense way better. Hopefully we can pickup a few FAs on D thanks to LeBeau & Horton.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Hoping for the same thing. Sadly, most of Dicks players are old and washed up. Hopefully his name alone will seduce some players to coming here... cough cough Justin Houston.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I think people forget the Steelers D under Lebeau used a massive NT to 2 gap the A gaps. Then it featured an excellent LB corp with the OLB's being elite pass rushers and the middle LB's very good or better. The strength of the D was NOT the DL, but the LB corp.

I'm not against adding DWill IF we are going to 2 gap. Would probably make a big impact on ZB being able to play ILB like Timmons. I'm also not against LWill as he's arguably the most talented player in the draft.

But we NEED a dominant pass rusher one way or another. Justin Houston or a draft pick.

7. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

Looking like Houston will get the franchise tag.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yea saw that too, :gaah:

He's only expected $11M I believe if he signs it, I'd gladly pay him almost double up front to come here, then about $15/yr thereafter

He wont sign til next week if he signs it

9. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Yea... I was gonna say let's offer him 6 year/$90mil ($15m a year).

I'm sure they're in the process of trying to re-sign him, but if they can't they'll tag him and sign him after that possibly.

Hopefully they blow it and we somehow get him.

10. Subjugation

Subjugation Starter

I think a lot of people place too much emphasis on "coaching" certainly X's and O's hold importance as does morale and motivation. But the reality is, you can call the best plays and have the most motivated team ever, but if they players don't make the plays, nothing is going to work. Certainly Lebau had some influence over Troy p. But some of the circus stuff he did, was him being great, not Lebau being great. Whisenhunt will make or break his future head coaching career more than anything by showing he can properly influence Webster enough to get the players he needs, and he further needs to be right about those players.

I think lebeu, if he is going to make the team better, it isn't going to be by calling better plays, it'll be by influencing who the Titans put out there in defense. That's really where it is at, and to a degree, good coaches find good players where other coaches missed them. If you look at it like that, really this will be whisenhunts year and websters year to make a jump. I think relatively early in the season we will know where the franchise is headed.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar