Titans should Trade CJ

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by petergriffin16, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Christian Okoye and Joe Montana.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

:rolleyes:

I am in no way acting like Charles is the norm. I have no idea where you got that from. My only point was that CJ is not the slam dunk best back in the league that so many people here make him out to be. There are other guys on his level, albeit with different strengths and weaknesses. If your argument is that CJ has the best 40 time of any RB I wouldn't disagree. But there's a big difference between 'fastest' and 'best'.

We have people claiming CJ's already better than Earl Campbell for god's sake.
    :homer:

Yes he will. That wasn't my point. See above.

Right. And he's had twice the carries JC has so that makes sense. JC has a 6.0 ypc career average to CJ's 5.0. JC had 6.4 ypc last season to CJ's 4.3. Look, no two players situations are exactly the same so you can always find a difference to point out. I'm just saying that to put CJ on this god-like pedestal is silly. (And that's not necessarily directed at you but there are plenty of posters who are guilty of this.)

CJ is a special player. No doubt. But is he a special enough running back to warrant "top playmaker"/Larry Fitz money? I say he isn't worth all that. And that's not a knock on CJ. I don't believe any RB is worth that kind of money in today's game. If he'll sign for highest paid RB money I'd love to have him. If he's too unreasonable with his demands I'd have no problem moving on. He's just a running back people.

3. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

I personally think a lot of you are worrying way too much about what CJ "wants" What CJ "wants" won't matter come September. He'll take what he can get to get out there and play. Until then, he'll try to drive the price higher and higher, but ultimately will have to take the Titans best offer. CJ doesn't want to miss games.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

already missed 2

5. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

I meant games that matter. Regular season games. I think you knew that.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

lol

just pointing out where CJs heart aint

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Reinfeldt said that the Titans haven't made an offer to CJ because the two sides were so far off on parameters that an offer couldn't be made. That tells me that the Titans are thinking 60mil 35 guaranteed whilst CJ is thinking 110Mil 65Guaranteed. for a RB, that is plain absurd, I couldn't even justify the first offer.

Especially how good Ringer and Harper look behind our OLine. RBs can be found anywhere, there's still probably gonna be some nice looking cats that hit the street when cuts are made too.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I can respect that. But Reinfeldt just said the two sides can't even agree on parameters, much less numbers. And we're less than 3 weeks away from the regular season. If CJ is merely posturing and knows he's not going to get "top playmaker" money anyway then does that not qualify as CJ being "me first" and not being fully dedicated to helping the Titans win in your mind? We have a new coach/staff, 2 new QBs, a new offense, etc... we're less than 3 weeks out and CJ's playing games instead of just accepting the deal to be the highest paid player at his position in the entire league?

If this thing doesn't get done until the final week before regular season action there's no way anybody can say it won't possibly affect the team negatively at all. He's never even taken a hand off from Matt or Jake. He hasn't practiced with the team. He hasn't ran through any plays. Even if CJ just has one "off week" and then is back to his old self that one off game could very well end up being the difference down the stretch. Our players need to be 100% prepared for every single game. Especially the ones that are expecting top NFL contracts.

9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Imagine if we could get something, like the Eric Dickerson trade:

TRADED
    Eric Dickerson, RB

RECEIVED
    Greg Bell, RB
    Owen Gill, RB
    Buffalo No. 1 – 1988
    Indianapolis No. 1 – 1988
    Indianapolis No. 2 – 1988
    Buffalo No. 1 – 1989
    Indianapolis No. 2 – 1989
    Buffalo No. 2 – 1989

What's even better, Dickerson had only one great year after the trade. It would be impossible to get a trade like that in the current era, teams covert their draft picks now.

10. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Understand, but as I have been saying for a while now, I am more concerned about how many games he misses this year (assuming he comes in like you say) due to reporting to preseason or regular season out of game shape, and getting some non contact type of leg injury. Look at Vincent Jackson last season. Holds out for about 1/2 of the season, comes back for one quarter of one game, then goes down for another few weeks. Total waste of season for him, and waste of money for the Bolts, which incidentally were expected to go deep in postseason (and did not make the playoffs).

Regardless of what (again, assuming this happens) CJ gets paid, having him spend time out with some stupid "ouch, I am out of shape" injury does us no good. Not too many folks will be excited about having a $10-12MM/year spectator on the sidelines, especially when one thinks back to what caused the injury.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar