Titans should start Hasselbeck over Locker, analysts say

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Msut10, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Locker should get a legitimate chance. Is he going to make mistakes? Sure, but he isn't going to learn from those mistakes sitting on the bench. His contract is only four years with a fifth year option. If he's playing good enough, he needs to start while we still have a suitable backup on the team.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

good point

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Do not know if it has already been said but....

If he is not the starter, he needs considerable more playing time. As soon as the game is out of hand or Hass playing well. I would like to see him as the full time starter by atleast late next year unless something unforseen happens.

4. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

Uhhh...most people didn't think we'd get to .500..and that was in the preseason, before we lost Britt.

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I want Locker to start next year. The few chances he had to play, he gave us a spark. Hopefully he can always play with that "spark". Curious what will happen when defenses start planning for Locker.

Hass started out amazing, then slowly got worse as the year panned out. According to most Seahawks fans, that's how it's been for the last 5 years. Most the time it's due to injury.

6. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

I'm just talking NFL defenses in general, not a specific scheme or roster, but they'll want to test his accuracy and arm by taking away the run. Then see how he handles the blitz. If he shows that he is going to burn defenses on the ground consistently then you will start to see more spying and stunts to keep him in the pocket.

Mainly the NFL will make him beat them with his arm until he proves he is capable of doing so. Once he proves he can, defenses and their coordinators will have nightmares of playing against us.

..just my take.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Somehow Brady, and Manning make it work. But I agree with you, being 1 dimensional limits us on offense.
    I feel like everything you said is the opposite LOL. Hasselbeck managed these youngsters very nicely. And Locker seems c()cky as a motha, but in a good way.

8. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

well.. he did start sucking... and then he started getting injured and he REALLY started sucking..

I'm on the fence with this one.. but im leaning towards starting locker.... if our previous two crappy QBs can play that well... no reason locker can't

9. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I'm actually more curious to see how the O-line plays with Locker in the backfield. With Hass, I think they got a little lazy. They're going to have to move around with Locker as he scrambles and runs.

10. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

To me Hasselbeck is a guy that Fisher would love. He might not win many games, but he probably isn't going to lose many games either. He is the perpetual mediocre QB. And this is exactly what we saw this season: 18 TD to 14 int, 223 yds/game, 82.4 rating, 61% completions, 9-7 record. All of those numbers are middle of the pack rankings (15-20) for Qb's this year except for int's where he was in the top 10 (or bottom 10) for most thrown.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the Hasselbeck signing. He provided some stability in a position where we hadn't had any in years. A 1st year HC, new OC, rookie QB, and no offseason could've been a recipe for disaster. Hasselbeck was brought in to minimize the damage, while mentoring Locker. And that's exactly what he did. He played good at times and he played bad at times. And I would say that he exceeded expectations, but he is never going to be good enough to take this team to the next level. Would he have been better with Britt healthy? Sure, but Britt could make KFC look good (see eagle's game last year).

When it comes down to it, I don't trust Hass to be the guy that can put the team on his shoulders and lead the Titans to victory week in and week out. With Hass, I never felt like there was a game we couldn't compete in if he brought his A game (Ravens game), but I never felt like there was a game he couldn't lose (Colts game). And I never had faith that he could lead the team to a comeback when we were down in the 4th (Bengals, 1st Jags game). These are the qualities that we have become too familiar with b/c of VY and KFC, and compared to them Hass is Tom Brady. But when you actually compare him to Tom Brady, Hass just doesn't even come close. He is good but not great. If we want to be an elite team, we have to have an elite QB.

I feel that Locker can be the guy to put the team on his shoulders, and lead the team to victory. I think that Locker can be that elite QB that teams have to have now to contend for a SB. But for him to get to that point, he will have to get experience, and even if he turns out to not be that guy, we need to know sooner rather than later. Starting Hass for another year just delays the process for the Titans to take that next step, and for what, another 9-7 or 10-6 season. Even if we do make the PO next year with Hass, I don't see him taking us very far.

Plus, I think that Locker will be the better option next year anyway. Sure MH has the exp. but so what, what did that do for us last year? Can anyone really point out a game where his experience was the reason that we won a game? When you think of a rookie making mistakes, you think of a few different things. Throwing ints, throwing short of the sticks on 3rd down, and going to the check down too early and often. MH did all of those things last year, and it ended up costing us several games. So I ask again, where is his experience helping us?

I think it is time to start playing to win games. And to do that you have to play the best players regardless of experience. Munch got off to a good start with Ayers, and Mccarthy, and keeping guys like Hawkins (who had virtually no exp.) over Gage (who had basically been our #1 wr). I feel Locker is already the better QB, he has better arm strength, he can keep plays alive with his mobility, and his ceiling is much higher. The rest will come with the experience.

Hasselbeck was exactly what the team needed last year, and he still has a lot that he can teach Locker, but he needs to do it from the sideline. To me this is a no brainer. START LOCKER!!!!!

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar