Titans say QB race is “even” entering training camp

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Pro Football Talk, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Football Talk

Pro Football Talk Titans News

[float][​IMG][/float] As we mentioned when we unveiled the Titans at No. 20 in our Preseason Power Rankings, the biggest question about their camp will be which quarterback emerges as the starter.

Veteran Matt Hasselbeck had his best season in half a decade last year, leading the Titans to a 9-7 record. But they were encouraged by first-round pick Jake Locker in spot duty as well.

Jim Wyatt of the Tennesseean said there’s no hurry to decide, with coach Mike Munchak saying he’d like to name a starter by the end of preseason (which, I guess, is better than declaring it a “game-time decision”).

Offensive coordinator Chris Palmer referred to them as “even,” but it doesn’t take much reading between the lines on Munchak to see a potential lean.

“Everyone is always excited about the new guy. I think that’s how it always is, especially in the quarterback world,’’ Munchak said. “I think people enjoyed watching Matt, being a Super Bowl quarterback, and what he brought to the team last year.

“But everyone wants to see Jake. As soon as Jake started playing it was, ‘Let’s see the young guy.’ And I think no matter what happens at the quarterback spot, some people are going to want the old guy, some are going to want the young guy. It’s going to go back and forth.”

The Titans have a difficult opening month (New England, at San Diego, Detroit, at Houston), and it may be smarter to offer Hasselbeck up rather than throw a guy with 66 NFL pass attempts in. Then if things don’t go well, it’s easier to sell the change.

[​IMG]
    Source: Pro Football Talk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar