Welcome to goTitans.com! Log in or sign up to be a part of the best Tennessee Titans fan site available.

Titans safeties continue to struggle in coverage

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Titans Insider Titans News

SAN DIEGO Are the Titans getting what they wanted with the new tandem of free safety Robert Johnson and strong safety Michael Griffin? It’s a valid question after two weeks.

Tom Brady went 23-of-31 for 236 yards, two touchdowns and a 117.1 passer rating against the Titans last week, and Phillip Rivers went 24-of-31 for 284 yards, three touchdowns and a 119.8 rating on Sunday. The Titans haven’t given up a pass play of more than 31 yards, but short and intermediate throws are killing them.

“There was times I was supposed to come up and help,” said Johnson, who’s playing a centerfielder’s role in the secondary. “If there’s a coverage where somehow guys get open, I’m supposed to come up and make tackles. Those are things I’m supposed to be doing.”

Griffin, who had a team-leading 18 tackles against the Chargers, said it’s not important whether he’s playing free or string safety: “I don’t think it matters. You have to be able to play with whoever’s out there. There’s a reason all these guys are on the team. Whatever position they want you to play, you gotta play.”

Source: Titans Insider