Titans release Jason McCourty

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dman5TX, Apr 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Pro Bowler

Well for one we have no idea what we have in the young guys which is better than knowing the garbage we had with the vets.

2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Starting CBs for Titans are

Logan Ryan
    LeShaun Simms
    Brice McCain

with depth as
    Kalan Reed
    Demontre hurst

could've been:

Logan Ryan
    Jason McCourty
    Brice McCain with depth as

LeShaun Simms
    Kalan Reed
    Demontre Hurst
    Draft picks.

It takes a while to get young guys up and running, even if they are 1st rounders. so the time with Vets is important. You want to just throw these young guys to the wolves week 1?

3. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Draft a CB or 2 and we'll sign a vet that's cheaper than McCourty

He wasnt worth what he was being paid, asked to take a paycut, wouldn't so goodbye.

Funny when they have a good year they want paid but won't take a paycut when they suck.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. DoubleBlue

DoubleBlue Highly Respected Poster

Ya probably. But over the next few years theres gonna be several guys were gonna wanna resign, so the extra money can't hurt :biggrin2:

5. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Wish him the best....Time for some new blood in our secondary...

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Yea. It's acceptable to do it with QB's over and over again, OL go in immediately without issue, DL has no problems starting game 1, why would this be an issue at CB?

7. Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow Just a Fan....

@JCBRAVE .. didn't we call this few months back

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Okay...Nice Avi Hurray../ (questions to answers great album)...As for letting McCourty go, it's not a bad move. He was a class act, but let's face it, our secondary has been outright terrible. Not changing direction is exactly why we are ranked #31 in pass defense....

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Ryan is a vet. If that's the main reason to keep him, it's covered.

I also don't believe that was going to be the order going into the season. We will see of course but I believe it's going to be Ryan and Sims/Draft pick, McCain with other depth. Ideally, it would be Ryan, Sims, draft pick as the top 3 on the field.

I don't believe McCourtey was going to be holding anyone off from taking his position. I believe that factored into it. If he ended up on the roster, it was going to be as a depth player imo. We all knew this was coming. The problem is McCourtey was not a good football player anymore. Time caught up with him.

That alone is good enough of a reason. I don't feel his "veteran presence" would have be much of a factor and I don't feel that offsets his play on the field.

When I think about how this team will look in week 1, McCourtey didn't need to be in the picture unless it was depth.

You do not want him as you're number 2 corner. That doesn't mean Sims/Draft pick is the answer. It just means McCourtey didnt need to be in the conservation anymore.

I agree with it. You see value in McCourtey. I don't.

Edit: Don't get me wrong. I have nothing but love for the guy. He is a class act. It was just time.

10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

IMO he's nice depth to have and it's not like we exactly needed the cap room this year. Our CB group was super trash and just got even trashier. But whatever.

Sadly, this comes off like the cheap Titans being cheap to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar