Titans receivers revisited

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Kinney is too good of a blocker to be traded IMO. Troupe cannot block as good.

2. What if we draft a TE with good blocking potential

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

be a waste of a pick.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

TEs then and now...

Our best year for TEs prior to last season was in 1998 when wycheck and harris combined for 113 catches for 1180 yards. That was wycheck's best season with 768 yards receiving. Nice numbers until you compare him to what antonio gates has been doing. He had 1100 yards in 2005. In fact there were 6 TEs with higher yardage numbers than wycheck had in his best year!

Can troupe become a big time receiver along the lines of a gates, shockey, witten, gonzales or the soon to be legendary chris cooley? Maybe.

As to a down field threat troupe has a career 9.8 ypc average so we have yet to see that despite his obvious athleticism and eye popping runs he has been no greater a threat than kinney. We also need to see if scaife can get down the field more since most of his 37 catches were in the flat resulting in that low ypc.

GoT, you are obviously a very nostaligic guy but i don't remember wycheck being this devastating blocker. If it is a blocking fullback we need then let's get one because fleming is obviously not it.

My guess is that these TEs will have about 33% fewer catches than 2005 but with a good yard or two more yards per catch due to the better down field threat from our WRs. I think roby and williams will both do well this year.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Trading kinney...

It's the best time for that. With troupe entering season 3 and scaife his 2nd year we don't need kinney that much. Then we have guenther who wouldn't be a bad #3 guy probably at least as good or better than chad mier was.

The idea is that this is troupe's year to emerge as our stud guy so kinney's value is less. At age 29 and coming off his best season kinney's value for trade is obviously as high as it ever will be. It also saves $1.8M on the cap vs guenther who will make minimum. A 4th rd pick might be fair.

Note that the money saved might just be enough to extend a new contract for bennett to keep him around another 2 years. His contract runs out after this next season.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

This might have to happen in order to get close to what we need to carry McNair without redoing his contract and get the rookies signed.

Kinney - 1.8M, Sirmon, 2.4M, Volek $2.38M contract. Heard we had been offered a 4th for Volek. If we got one for Kinney also, we're definitely getting into the 3rd. But I bet we could get a 3rd for one of those guys, surely. And no I don't mean Sirmon.

Anyway, if we traded Kinney and Volek, we'd have a 1st, 2nd, three 4ths, two 5ths a 6th and three 7ths (11 picks, 9 on the second day). We would have to trade up since we don't need that many picks. Should get down to 6 or 7 in that scenario.

7. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Good points, but our most glaring weakness last season was BLOCKING. Kinney is our best blocking tight end by far. Why would we want to do that... particuarly if we are going to have the fragile Volek and/or a rookie back there? There is a reason his stock is as high as it will ever be... because he is playing as well as he ever has.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Where did I state that Wycheck was a devestating blocker???????? Bamaboy goes on the offense by twisting words and statements into things that were not stated or intended.

I don't think Wycheck was a devesatating blocker - effective yes, devestating no. I would say the he would get his chip in and find a seam as good as any TE, and in his prime was a threat once he had the ball.

I would rate his blocking skills about the same as I would EG - gets the job done and it ain't always pretty either

Hope you are right about the TEs next year. Need to get something BEHIND the LBs from time to time.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'm becoming more convinced we may attempt to trade back into the first round to get Williams or Maroney. We're also friendly with the Broncos FO (we might do our scrimmage in Denver this year, Fisher said), who need a TE. We could end up dealing Kinney to them, Volek and Henry are also possible fodder in this scenario (I bet Henry would return to form behind that Broncos line and could be the right combo for them of Bell/Dayne; Volek thrives under Heimerdinger's offense). We would kick in either next year's first or this or next year's second, or whatever reasonable combination thereof, depending on whether we were going for pick #15 or #22. Also, we would likely be trying to get Denver's third in return.

We would then possibly draft TE David Thomas, another Young target from Texas. We would use Guenther in the red zone this year a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar