Titans Reach Contract Agreement with WR Filani

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedRaider427

RedRaider427 Guest

I had the fortune of watching him grow as a player throughout the spring/fall and regular seasons of 2004, 2005, and 2006. I've never seen anyone improve as much as he did. He went from being somewhat of a butterfingers to one of the most sure-handed receivers on the team.

I'd say that Joel's balance and strength are his biggest upsides. Some of the tackles he broke over the years were simply amazing. Filani was also great at fighting to get those extra yards to the first down marker. I can't remember a single time when I saw him acquiese to being tackled or shy away from contact.

I'd wager that he was a big-time steal as late as you guys got him in the draft. I expected him to go higher than he did. Then again, all of our WRs get the dreaded "system" tag, which slights the real talents like Welker and Filani who are much more than just guys who put up gaudy numbers on a stat sheet.

Yeah, you guys did kind of throw a net out there to give yourself options. I know many Titan fans were a bit displeased with the WR-laden draft, but that's the reason Tennessee ended up with a gem like Joel.

The veteran WR route is a big mistake, IMO. This usually applies to most teams, but it's especially true for the Titans. The focus should be on development of the talent on the team already, because that's how you build a cohesive, productive receiving corps. Teams who get up in arms about not having a consensus #1 guy are misguided. Overall receiving success is about putting players in the best roles and refining their strengths. Filani and Williams, from what I've seen, really bring something to the table.

Hopefully the coaches see his potential. I did, however, miss one of Filani's biggest career highlights on the video due to losing the game footage. During his ludicrously awesome 255-yard game against KSU in '05, he had a pass thrown way behind him and seemingly over his head. He turned his body completely around, jumped backwards, extended his arms, and snagged the ball out of the air while his body was literally horizontal to the turf. It's impossible to describe, but it was phenomenal. Needless to say, the place erupted. I really wish I could show it to you.

I'm right there with you, and I'll be happy to let you in on whatever I can tell you about Joel.

2. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

His balance is especially impressive in that video. Some of those hits he took, and then the spins he made to get out. And he just didn't go down. He seems to have great lower body strength (and upper) to break tackles, but he also just stays up. Incredible body control. Did he always look like that?

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

"everyone looks good on a highlight reel"
    Yeah. But some have LONGER highlight reels.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Excellent. :yes:

5. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

that means ABSOLUTELY nothing... :rolleyes:

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

7. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

perhaps it means that the player has more highlight worth plays than a person with a shorter highlight reel.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

bingo!

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Yep. Playmakers naturally have more highlights to show.

10. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

ok, so if i make a 2 minute highlight reel of vince young, then i bring a 5 minute highlihgt reel of KFC, that means KFC is definatly better right??? i mean his highlight reel is longer..... :ha:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar