Titans Reach Contract Agreement with WR Filani

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

BUT SOME PLAYERS LOOK BETTER THAN OTHERS! Yeah, a highlight film is just a collection of great plays, but the fact is that he is making those plays. Filani is going to be a good player for us. He is the physical presence that we needed to complement B Jones.

2. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

I have a feeling that all of our WRs are going to get an equal chance to prove themselves because there really is no clear cut number 2. I think FIlani will get just as many chances as Roydell, Courtney, Paul, Chris, etc.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

No, I was saying the opposite. I was criticizing DC because he first stated that everyone looks good in a high-light video

and then after saying that said he thought Filani and Williams were our best draft picks obviously after watching their videos.

Obviously any one with a brain would agree that those short videos don't tell the whole story but considering they are all fans have to go on that is how we base our opinions.

4. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

i didnt say he wouldnt be good, i think williams and filani were our best draft picks, with the exception of henry, just when people say, "Oh yea, his highlight reel has GOOD PLAYS IN IT!!!" it sounds so friggin retarded.

5. ONUV

ONUV Starter

all of our rookies will be co-rookies of the year :rolleyes:

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

good lord, someone is still sour we didnt draft the almighty meachem.

7. RedRaider427

RedRaider427 Guest

First off, my introduction, as this is my first post here. I'm a Texas Tech graduate who followed our football team very closely throughout college. There was seldom a practice that I missed over the years. I had the opportunity to watch and get to know Joel in college both on the field and in the classroom, and I can honestly say he's worth every bit of the praise. Filani is a hard worker and great person on and off the field. He took school seriously and received a degree in Finance. He outperformed me on several tests, and I wasn't just mailing it in in the classroom, either.

On the field, he started his Tech career as an unpolished receiver with shaky hands. He had the physical tools, but I wasn't sure if he'd get buried on the depth chart or become a breakout star. Thankfully, he put in the extra work in practice in catching tennis balls from the pitching machine, as well as building up some serious muscle in the weight room. He improved substantially throughout his career at Tech, all the way up to the point where he became arguably the best receiver in the Big 12 his Senior year.

The 4.71 40 time is way off. I don't even know where they got that. He has been clocked regularly in the 4.50 to 4.55 range. Also, he doesn't seem to lose much speed in full pads, as he plays fast. It's fairly apparent in the highlight video, as some of those DBs he was outrunning play on sundays and have those blazing 40 times. I think that Cal DB ran a 4.3. Thanks for the props on the vid, btw; it's some of my better work. Then again, Filani's easy to make look good.

Congrats on your Titans drafting and being wise enough to hold onto Filani. I think Joel is truly a special talent, and that's not just the homer in me talking. Only Wes Welker has received similar praise as a great TTU WR from me, and he's had his share of NFL success. Joel's game translates to the NFL well, and I think he has a bright future. Glad to see him in the pros, and I'll be watching every Titan game they put on TV here to wish him all the best. I can't wait to hear more of you singing his praises in the future. Give him a chance, and you won't be disappointed.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Welcome to the forum.

The 4.71 was from NFL.com. Deeper research may have discovered numbers closer to 4.5.

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

If he's got speed, that's even better, although I don't think he needs to have it. We've got maybe 2 or 3 guys with that breakaway outside speed. Problem has been we need someone who can find the soft spots underneath and work in traffic to get open. If he's smart, strong and has good acceleration he should be pretty successful in our offense.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

RedRaider427,
    Thanks for the insight. Rarely do we get to read about these draft picks from guys who really got to watch them for a full season. I really hope Filani gets plenty of opportunities because based on what I saw in the videos he looks like a more polished WR than Bowe but with equal strength and balance. If he can run close to 4.5 he isn't slow either and on those video clips he sure looks anything but slow. The kid could be a real steal for us.

The problem I see is the Titans kind of took a shot gun approach to filling our needs at WR. Filani is going to be fighting for a roster spot with two other higher draft picks, 3 guys who were drafted year before last, a guy drafted last year late and for whatever reason we signed Justin Gage as a FA. Now our brilliant GM is saying on the radio he is expecting to sign or trade for a vet WR. I'm sure the cream will come to the top but guys like Filani will have to show something early and often to catch the coaches eye. He certainly caught our eye on the video (great work). I'd love to see Filani doing those same kind of things in Titan blue on Sundays. Again, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar