Titans Re-Sign Lavelle Hawkins

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

You can use that all you want, but it is public reputation around the NFL. It's been stated multiple times by multiple players.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

That's fine. Perception versus reality.

Albert Haynesworth was a dog after he left. Jevon Kearse never sniffed double-digit sacks again. Keith Bulluck was out of the NFL after one season with the Giants. Drew Bennett lasted 15 games with the Rams. Donald Mitchell lasted one season with the Cowboys. Antwan Odom didn't do a thing for the Bengals.

The Titans flat out screwed Randall Godfrey and that has somehow stuck with the organization. They don't pay guys who are not top-tier players top-tier money(in Albert's case he was just crazy), it's just that simple.

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Fat Al also lasted less than a minute in FA, thats not a fair comparison.

Bulluck basically came off a career ending injury. I didn't like it at the time, but the FO made the right call.

I think the FO saw Bennett for what he really was....an average wide out.

Donald Mitchell? really?

And Odom was not much more than a average starter, and was easily replaced.

However, I will say that the Titans do have a bad rep. I think partially because the people we did slight, were big names and they complained. Overall, I am fairly satisfied with how we handled free agency. With the exception of the McNair fiasco, that should have been handled better.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Kudos for the Godfrey mention, that is one guy that is not talked about often, and I honestly believe, he was one of the better defensive players we have had.

What I am basically saying is.....most of those guys were old and set in their ways. If allowed to stay in Tennessee, they would likely have be able to contribute for a few more seasons.

But first year on a new team? Not likely, I firmly believe in not going after anyone after 30. Thats a decent amount of wear and tear on their body, and who knows how they will form to a new scheme at that point.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I'm not saying the Titans were better off without those guys' talent, but you can't argue against most of the decisions working out in the organization's favor when it comes to money spent vs production. Those guys were paid what they were because someone was willing to give it to them.

Haynesworth and Kearse were both given contracts that, at the time they were signed, were the richest for their positions in the history of pro football. Their production after that wasn't anywhere near their pre-contract production.

Odom signed a deal worth almost $30 million. He got released after getting 11.5 sacks in three season while being oft-injured for the Bengals.

You can go back and look at all of the guys we straight up did not re-sign and find a handful that matched their production as Titans or improved. Jon Runyan for the Eagles, KVB for the Lions and Randy Starks for the Dolphins. All of the others were pretty average but were being severally over-payed, because that's what happens with free agents.

6. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Bingo

That's why the "titans don't pay their players" BS doesn't bother me. Our history of making the right decision in these situations is A1 in my eyes.

Derrick Mason may be the only mistake vs. the multiple good decisions (mcnair, george, kearse, haynesworth, bulluck, bennett etc).

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

This post is wrong on so many levels. Only God knows how someone could prefer Hawkins over Williams, because it makes absolutely no sense. And Hawkins does not as you put it, "have a great sense of where he's at on the field", IMO that's his whole problem. Hawkins missed several 3rd down conversions when he got the ball, and is also nonexistent in the redzone. He has only 1 TD in 4 years!

The thing I agree with you on is that he does fight for yardage, maybe as good as anyone his size possibly could. But he's in no way more consistent than Williams.

Let me introduce you to Damian Williams, clearly you're confused about this guy.
    [ame="http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d8240ec94/Williams-43-yard-TD"]http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d8240ec94/Williams-43-yard-TD[/ame]

8. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I think Hawkins was more consistent than Williams down the stretch.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

From Thanksgiving on, Hawkins had 23 receptions to Williams 21, so maybe thats fair to say. Hawkins did also have more yards during that stretch, but has no TD's!!!!!! That's the only issue I have with Hawkins, he virtually disappears in the redzone, and he does get balls in that area. Not like he only plays between the 20's, he see's time as the teams X receiver.

10. bigdogtitan

bigdogtitan Camp Fodder

The good part is that we have stability at wr and guys who know the offense Mini camps and ota should be a chance to develop better chemistry and timing with the QBs. Hawkins and williams have to continue to improve to make this group better

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar