Titans RB Situation Uncertain for '06

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

All I'm saying is that I could pull up stats that suggest Michael Vick would be a better running back than LT, but it just isn't true.

2. #1TitansFan

#1TitansFan Camp Fodder

I think Brown would be a better running back if he didn't run as upright as he does. A better O line could also make a big difference in the success of the backs.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Eddie George was once the best back in the league and he was run into the ground and never came back. Same thing for Jamal Lewis, and he had the benefit of a good O-Line.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

how were RollTides stats skewed?

Lewis played one more game with less yards and a better O-Line.

5. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

EG was never the best running back in the league...
    He never ran for 2000 yards in a single season against consistant 8-9 man fronts. All of this while his best qb barely broke the 70 qb rating mark. If you're going to consider 1000 and 900 yard seasons "run into the ground" then tell that to the guy you're defending who claims that constitutes being a "good" running back. In fact, this is the first year that Jamal has averaged less than 4 ypc despite playing on the most consistantly horrible offense in the league. And that was probably due, at least in part, to spending the offseason in a prison.

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Bah, some 500 of those yards came in a single game against the Browns. Let's not make it out to be more than it really is. In the remaining games that season he only averaged around 100, which is "normal" for a good runningback.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Regardless if Eddie was the best or not, he was one of the best. And the Titan offense is comparable to the Raven offense during those times. All McNair did was dunk it to Wycheck.
    One year Eddie had 403 carries, that is run into the ground.

However my point is that Eddie didnt come back after being run into the ground, and it is possible Jamal Lewis will not. Which is why I think Chris Brown has a better chance of production then Jamal does from now.

We have seen what Chris Brown can achieve and if healthy with a good O-Line i think he can get 1500+ yards.

8. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

Eddie was never the best huh? Eddie and Jim Brown are the only backs to rush over 10,000 yards without missing a start to injury. And most people think Jim Brown was the best back that ever played. Trying to diminish EG's production is futile. His Heisman trophy, career rushing numbers, college degree, winning attitude, smile (yeah I said it), and passion to win are both missed by the franchise and proof positive of his H.O.F-type career. Somebody earlier intimated that EG wasn't worn out. I guess Earl Campbell wasn't either. Another poster talked about Eddie averaging a low number of first downs per carry in his career. Think that could come from the conservative style of offense? For about 5 years the whole offense was run eddie right, run eddie left, throw to frank, wash, rinse, repeat...

Despite T.Henry's drug problems, at least he has shown the same kind of production as Eddie, and the same kind of toughness as Eddie. He had 2 years of over 1200 yds rushing, two probowl years. He finished one season on a fractured leg. I sure hope this guy stays with the Titans and gets his game back together.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

First of all the issue isn't if Brown is better than Lewis. Last time I checked Lewis was not on the Titan's roster so the argument is ridiculous.
    Second, Brown was a good enough player to get over 1500 yards in 2004. The issue wasn't if he was a good enough player, the issue was can he stay healthy.
    As stated before why don't you give your advise on how we should correct this poor running attack we have? Just bashing Brown doesn't solve anything.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

About Brown's running style...
    I see it is being looked upon as some kind of drawback...
    I think it is a strenth. I think of Brown as an elusive back.
    If he could just shed a tackle or two he can rip into the secondary.
    The thing is he needs a larger than average hole to hit.
    He is not getting this. That may be a factor that contributes to to the perception that he is ineffective at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar