Titans RB Situation Uncertain for '06

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

So what if I am? I don't claim to be some kind of expert.

Thanks for your input. Damn, it's just hard to think anything good about EG now. It's been a while since he was "the workhorse" EG... that stat...I posted about more than a week ago btw...#1. it's overrated...#2.it's inaccurate...

Am I wrong about that too? (rhetorical question)

How many 100 yard games did any Titan have this year?
    Don't bother to reply because I already know the answer.

When things get better people like me will stop talking about the way things used to be...(or used to be according to our recollections, not our latest glance of profootball-reference.com)

Tide, keep in mind that you are some kind of analyst poster where as I am just a joe six pack hard core Titan fan...I'm predjudiced and a homer and all that nonsense...I think with my heart mostly and not my brain...That's why I'll entertain the notion McNair is better than Manning, ect...

Mix up some decent Kool-Aide and I'll drink it.
    Quit pi$$ing on my memories. :ha:

2. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Yea, let's completely leave out that for many years of EG's tenure, we had no passing game at all. Brown is not a good running back. EG was not a great running back although he had a few good years. There is no way you can shake it otherwise.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Titans2008...

I thought you liiked steve mcnair but now you claim we had no passing game at all those years. That is not true. Interesting that the 2 years we threw the ball best were also eddie's worst years running. In 2001 and 2003.

How is brown a bad back? In the last 2 seasons he has averaged over 900 yards rushing and 240 yards receiving. He gives you 4.2 yards a carry and over 10 yards per catch. What he hasn't been able to do is finish a season and his play declines as the season where's on. Is he a stud pro bowl caliber back? No but his role wasn't to be that kind of player and he is not making that kind of money. The guy will only count 605,000 against the cap. Robert holcombe counted 800k his last year here.

Why all the brown bashing when travis henry has only gained 300 yards and change the past 2 seasons and was no more effective per carry in 2005 than brown was? Henry carries a $2M+ price tag based on his current contract and cost us a 3rd rd pick in this coming draft. What turned out to be very high third rd pick. Why is henry getting a pass? Brown misses an average of 4 starts a year due to injury but henry missed 4 games this season because he likes smoking ganja!

4. CanadaTitan

CanadaTitan Guest

wel it kinda was eddies fault in the last few years, as you could see in dallas he just fell off. but this year i think just i duno, hartwig looked bad, so did hopkins and olsen has a high cap #. we might as well draft another g and t and a c because this way loper can back up the tackles, amano can back up the c and bell can start alongside piller with roos at lt and stewart at rt

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

How about 2004 where Brown had over 1000 yards in only 11 games (why doesn't someone chart those games for us)?
    He went over 100 yards 6 times. He only had 2 games where he averaged less than 4.0 yards per carry. Yea, lets dump that guy because in one year he obviously lost it. Or we could improve our vertical passing game and get some better blocking.

6. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Considering Brown didn't have a single game with over 100 yards rushing this year I'd hardly say he's above average but he's not bad. I fault a lot of his short comings to a week oline but that's just how the NFL works. I couldn't imagine Shawn Alexander having a very good year playing for the Titans, on the other hand, had Brown been playing behind a better oline I could only imagine him being quite a bit better... I haven't given up on him but I don't know if i would want to keep him as our feature back. I'm not sold on him being able to carry the load. Then again, if we don't improve our oline I don't think any back could carry the load here...

7. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Soxcat, good post. You bring up a valid point but not the one you think. C. Brown has been anything but durable, another good the for "the guy" to be in any rushing game. He is fragile.

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Yet Brown played 15 games last year, Henry only 10. Ignoring the 4 game suspension, Henry missed 2 games due to injury, Brown 1 (and 3/4 if you count the Cardinals game I guess). So yeah, I can see why Henry is such an upgrade, NOT.

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

There is more to a passing game than a qb. In those days, Wycheck led our teams in catches iirc.

900 yards rushing won't get it done. 4.2 ypc is mediocre, but like it has been pointed out already, he doesn't push the pile or run away from defenders. He isn't shifty and he doesn't have good vision. He breaks off an occasional 10-20 yarder to balance out his stats. OK, so he is cheap. That's great. He would make a fine backup running back. That doesn't make him a good back.

Why not ? Our running game was horrible. That's what running backs do. They run. If he isn't running as well as someone else we could get, then he's not above criticism. Brown bashing doesn't have anything to do with Henry. They're both bad backs. I didn't like giving up a 3rd rounder last year, either. And as far as Henry's recreational habits... remember that drug use can be rehabilitated from. An injury-prone body isn't something that can be fixed. I think that the prospect of losing your career is a pretty strong motivator. He's still not worth the money, but hopefully we can turn that around by restructuring or better yet, just cutting him.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Titans running game is weak sauce. Debunk that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar