Titans RB Situation Uncertain for '06

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Floyd may as well bring back Eddie if he's going to go signing old running backs at the end of their careers, i.e. Priest Holmes.:irked:

2. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

So many of you were in such a hurry to get rid of Eddie, it's not so easy to replace him is it?

Yeah, I know he didn't play anywhere last year, but neither did Henry or Brown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:brow:

With EG here at least you never worried about who would start, and we didn't have to worry about who would come down with reefer madness!

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

If Brown was healthy last year he would had close to 1800 yards IMO.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Our main problem with the running game is still a subpar O-line and lack of deep threat in the passing game. Whether it's Henry, Brown or Bush the problem will be the same.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

The problem is the McBack metality in regards to running back. Since Eddie faded/left those shoes have had to be filled by 2 or more running backs. Well, one shoe and one boot filled by multiple backs anyways.

You used to count on EG for 100 yards and a win, week in and week out.

Point is one of these years Tennessee has got to get a stud star calibur running back. Draft or FA. Top ten back...we could go like Washington did and buy ourselves a power running game. Just look what FA aquisition of Portis has done.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Short memories?
    Eddie George, the one we could count on for 100 yards had 7 100+ yard games in three years (2001-2003). Chris Brown in 2004, the guy who everyone now thinks stinks and needs to be replaced had 6 100+ yard games, three of which were 152, 147 and 148 yards. When a guy can run for 100+ yards 6 times in only 11 games one year and cannot break 100 yards one time the very next year (and is not coming off a serious injury) something is wrong with the OL, the scheme but certainly not the RB.
    Remember also, despite the lost games to injury in 2004 and the poor year this year Brown has run for over 1900 yards in the last two years. EG only averaged about 100 yards per year more than that his last three years and had a bunch more carries. IMO if we stocked the OL with better players we would solve 90% of our offensive problems and even Volek could win a bunch of games as our QB. Suddenly our inept WRs who cannot make big plays would be able to run deeper patterns against a defense that has to fear the run more and the WRs we have would be better.

7. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

I like how the O-line is considered sub-par now, but in Eddie's last years with us people said HE was the problem, not the Oline. Funny what some real lack of production will do to change perception.
    Looks like it wasn't all EG's fault.

Bring Back Skip Hicks!!!!

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I'nm not sure if you read what I wrote. In 2004 Chris Brown ran for greater than 100 yards 6 times in 11 games behind the same OL EG couldn't get production out of. This line is 2 years older now with a rookie starting at RT. Obviously we need an infusion of some younger, better players to get back to the level we were when EG was here. Hopkins was in his 13th year. Olsen took a big step back and Hartwig has been figured out (DC watch film and note they can put a guy on his nose and blow up the middle).

9. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

If you ask me... We haven't had a decsent Oline since Bruce Mathews retired.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree with Sox on this issue. I'd improve the O-Line then see what Brown can do. I don't mind keeping Henry for another year or so, but I just see more in Brown overall, enough that we'll see what we really have after another year. Training camp should be good, but I hope neither Brown or Henry waste themselves and get injured trying to out-do the other in camp. I still see a guy in Brown that can get 1500 yards a season for a few years, and could under the right circumstances be the NFL rushing leader. If he was healthy all last year and gave us the same performace consistently, that could have been Brown topping Curtis Martin and Shaun Alexander last year. Honestly, though Henry has proven himself capable, I don't ever see him becoming that kind of performer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar