Titans RB Situation Uncertain for '06

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

No, I said Brown was good enough to get 1500 yards in 2004. In other words he was talented enough but the only issue with him was the injuries (not that injuries are not a real concern). In fact I have no doubt whatsoever Brown would have had a 1500 yard year if he could have stayed healthy. He missed 4 games outright and parts of others.

I also agree with Tide that Henry didn't exactly show he was Mr. reliable even when he wasn't on drug suspension and had we made a run toward the playoffs we would have really been upset at his propensity to get injured.

MadAboutMcNair, do you have any suggestions on how we can improve our running game? Do you think Henry is the answer?

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

You really like that don't you? :lol2:

3. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

I like Jamal Lewis, actually he could come at a very good price. Not only do we want him, but he may like coming back to Tennessee. Now I know that most Tennessee Alums bring-backs have been busts, but Lewis is 27, and has alot in the tank. Remember the Ravens offense was 10x's worse than ours, Brown would have to go up against 7,8,9, maybe even 10 man fronts, cause teams knew that he was their only threat. Now the Ravens are pushing for Chester Taylor, actually I believe that they will choose him over Lewis. I think Jamal could be very affordable, Im talking about $12 million a year, with a decent bonus and incentives. I wouldn't mind that, then trade Brown, cut or trade Henry, draft RB Maurice Drew out of UCLA, and sign a good OL-Bently, Hutchinson? (pipe dream)- then KAZAM we have a strong running game.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

$12M for lewis?

That is a bargain? And that fiqure doesn't even count all the compensation you want to give that guy? I can't disagreee more and since when is $12M cheap for any RB?

Even with lewis i would want to hold onto brown because he would be a great #2 guy for little money. In that situation they would simply let henry go.

A 3 year deal for lewis worth no more than $15M total would be all i would offer.

5. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

I want to fix the offensive line. My argument is they were not as good as we thought win eddie was here, and they were not very good last year.
    Henry has proven himself in this league, at buffalo. Last year shocked me. And it must have shocked a lot of others, a year ago most thought a 3rd rd pick for him was a good move. Now? I'm unsure to say the least.

For this year, let's trade down about 1-2 places in the first and draft Ferguson. We can release olsen and hopkins. I'd like to resign hartwig, but not if it breaks the bank. That would give us something like LT ferguson, LG pillar, C plan a mohawk boy \ plan b amano, RG Bell, and RT Roos. It makes the line younger and less experienced but I think they would be an improvement. I would love to see them play together like that for a couple of years to improve continuity. Surely with that talent coach Munchak can turn out a monster line.

Next I would try to get a back in the second rd. There are a lot of good backs this year. We could get a steal in the second rd. Kinda like the chargers got Brees a few years ago. This is all my perfect scenario. I don't think the backs we have are that bad, I just wouldn't invest in them over the long haul. I would love a new franchise running back. A guy like Steven Jackson without the 'tude. And that might be unfare to jackson, I don't know much about him, It's just my impression that he has a bad 'tude.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

What good backs are going to be available in the 2nd round?

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Don't you think that pick could be better spent on defense?

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Yes I do. MadAboutMcNair is advocating taking Ferguson in the 1st round and a RB in the second. I would have less of a problem with that scenario if there was going to be a Lendale White quality back when we pick in the 2nd round but after the first 4 RBs the talent level really drops off this year.
    Reaching for a guy like Addai would be suicide for this organization with our needs at LB and S especially when we still don't have a 3rd round pick.

Looking at the RBs available this year I don't see anyone even remotely close to a Jamal Lewis, Eddie George that would be available past the first round. Most of the RBs this year look small. A guy like Gerald Riggs might be an option in the 4th round or later.

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

It's not draft day yet. It's not out of the question that one of the backs slide into the second round. I'm not really advocating doing that with the options that are on the FA market this year though. If not Lewis, I think Duckett would be a nice choice.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mad's scenario...

Here's what would solve our O-line problem if the cards fell that way. Trade down and draft ferguson in rd one and then see if we can get giles in rd 2. He might not be there the way he played in the senior bowl though. Big physical lineman seem to come off faster than we think. Back in 2003 we talked about foster out of Ga as a possible second rd pick and he was off the board before our first rd pick.
    But let's say we can do that. Assuming that olson and his fat paycheck is gone, we resign hartwig and sign that FA center from the saints bentley. Remember that hartwig is probably a better guard than center and is a nice guy to have around because he can play center and even right tackle in a pinch. That would give us three young studs on the o-line with two fairly young veterans.

Looking at that scenario we would maybe have 2 3rd rd picks. One from the trade down and one from a volek trade. It's there we could draft a linebacker and maybe a QB.

Look the 2 most pressing needs in this draft is a QB of the future and linebacker. We can get by at safety with fuller coming back, randall maybe playing a role and we can either keep williams or get a free agent like archletta. The most likely scenario is for us to draft young or lienart and then a linebacker in rd 2. Most likely we won't be able to draft high at o-lineman or RB. Maybe we can get lucky in rd 4.

It is rare that this organization gets a chance to draft this high. It's rare that we can get a franchise QB. We have to take that chance. While there is a 50% chance that who we draft will go bust there is also a 50% chance we could be drafting the next mcnair or mcnabb(young) or another manning or brady(lienart). We almost have to take that opportunity. We could be getting a player who will be a star for the next 12 years!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar