Titans RB Situation Uncertain for '06

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

BigTT......2008

I never said that i think brown is better than lewis but one poster said that brown totally sucked while at the same time talking up lewis and getting all huffy because i mentioned his criminal past. Why 2008 got so mad about the simple mention of lewis as an ex-con? I don't know but he must be the first poster here to actually take up jamal's case on this board. Are you the second?

Admit it, you guys say that brown sucks yet his numbers the last 2 years are actually better than lewis. You had no idea did you?

Note to 2008, sorry i made your home boy jamal look bad in comparison to brownie. The stats don't tell the whole story but they tell most of it. You just need to remember to do your homework first when discussing matters with mr analyst.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mad about eddie...

I guess it depends on someones definition of best. Eddie was never close to being the best back in football on any given year. In his prime years only finished higher than 5th in the nfl in rushing once, in 2000(3rd). That's one reason he won't be in the hall because there were many contemporaries of his who were better, or lasted longer.

I was the one who put up that first down comparison not to bash eddie at all but oi illustrate that brown is not as different as they were saying. I don't know how eddie stacks up in that area to other comtemporary backs like martin, bettis or faulk but anyone can go to a number of web-sites and find out. It's just that most posters here are too lazy for that.

Travis henry is eddie like? Maybe stylistically but remember that henry had hardly played at all and had that 4 week suspension and still missed 2 games with injury this year. Durability has not been his strong suit either.

3. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Ummm, yea.... I just mentioned Jamal Lewis for no reason. It's not like that would indicate that I think we should sign him or anything....

4. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Ummm, you dismissed signing Lewis for only one reason. An incident that happened while he was in college. On top of that, all he did was make a phone call. It's not like he was actually dealing. It doesn't make sense. I guess pointing out why that's dumb equals "getting huffy" lol. Omgosh stop getting so huffy just cuz I said Brown isn't a good starter in the league.

Homework lol. The only reason Lewis would be up for FA is a monumental dropoff. The difference is that the last two seasons for Lewis have been considered "monumental" because he was so great before that. Brown's last two seasons have been par for the course for him.

5. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Not to mention, I think he only broke the 4 ypc mark once. I don't know of anyone in the hall with a career average under 4 ypc off the top of my head. When considering the hof though, you can't dismiss his raw numbers that put him in some elite company.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

So thats your solution to our RB situation. Sign Lewis. Sure if we can sign Lewis to a "reasonable" deal I would be all for it. I'm not sure that is going to happen. Secondly, even if we dismiss the Lewis incident with the law you are talking about a guy who will be in his 7th year, 28 years old when the season starts and who has had two subpar years the last two years. Signing him for a high salary and bonus would be somewhat of a risk and we could endup with the next EG who is getting overpaid in the last less productive years of his career. Lewis could end up not being a big upgrade from Henry who we could sign for a much lower deal. Either way I'm not sure Lewis will be in our price range.

7. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

Look, I like Henry. I don't trust Brown. I, and many others of us, was spoiled by Eddie. I wish Henry luck, and Brown too for that matter. But my original point was that the problem here is the oline. If you disagree, and think the oline is not the problem with the running game, then what is? I've had a lot of fun trying to stir the pot on the how good was Eddie debate, but by doing so I got off point.
    The people that think that Lewis would be better for us than any of our backs are nuts I.M.O. Lewis is a cancer who only cares about himself. He tanked it at U.T. and at Baltimore. I would rather have J Payton (I just don't want to have to start him). Jamal has had some productive seasons, no denying that. But his monster rushing year didn't do him a lot of good did it? They still lost to us in the playoffs that year. And Eddie had a better game. Eddie had plenty of good games. My favorite playoff game of his was against the colts in 99.

8. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

Chris Brown had over 1500 yards in a season? In 2004? Did he return kicks? Return an interception? Was that with his passing stats figured in?
    1500 yard seasons get you to the probowl. I wish Chris Brown could get 1500 yards in a season. This next season. But I don't believe it.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Look, I like Henry. I don't trust Brown????

Funny, it was henry who had a 4 week vacation due to his drug problem. It's henry who hasn't even dented the 400 yard mark the last 2 seasons. It's henry who has averaged just 3.6 yard a carry the last 2 seasons when he has played. I guess if you spend most time on your butt on the bench we can say you are durable and consistent but that hasn't been true either since henry missed 2 games this season due to a leg injury. Nobody cares because we sucked so bad but what if we really needed him then? But it is henry you like and brown you don't trust.

2008 said that jamal just made a phone call. Probably the same thing john gotti said while he was in federal prison.

10. TM

TM Starter

I find it hard to believe that the Titans will spend big money on a FA RB. It's much more likely that they draft one. There's just too much risk with an expensive vet.

One of the biggest problems in the running game is the inability to consistently pick up the necessary yardage in short yardage situations. I think that is where the emphasis will be and that leaves out the classic third down back.

And if a new RB is going to play and contribute in 2006, then he going to have to be able to pass block from day 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar