Titans RB Javon Ringer wants chance 'to prove myself'

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CBS Sports, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBS Sports

CBS Sports Titans News

Ringer has had a few chances in the past few years, but he hasn't completely taken advantage. (US Presswire) Running back Javon Ringer probably won't ever get the majority of the carries with Tennessee as long as Chris Johnson is healthy. Even though Ringer has had limited success as Johnson's backup and even though Johnson struggled badly for much of 2011, Ringer didn't do much to put himself into the starting running back conversation. That said, Ringer hopes to change that this season. "Sooner or later, I hope to get a legitimate chance to prove myself," Ringer told the Detroit Free Press. "This is my contract year, so I'm hoping and praying for the best." Ringer's 2011, though, was disappointing. With Johnson unproductive because of his holdout, Ringer couldn't capitalize on the ability to earn more playing time, averaging a career-worst 3.1 yards per carry before breaking his hand in December. Coming off a 2010 campaign when he averaged 4.7 yards with a similar number of carries, that had to be disappointing. Though Ringer caught 28 passes last season, he certainly hasn't played extraordinary enough to earn himself a large contract going into 2013. Maybe Ringer can change that perception this year. And if and when he gets his chances this year, he needs to take advantage if he wants to be anything more than somebody else's backup. For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, and subscribe to our Pick-6 Podcast and NFL newsletter. You can follow Josh Katzowitz on Twitter here: @joshkatzowitz. [​IMG]
    Source: CBS Sports

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Ringer isn't that bad. He's a solid zone runner with no power moves, no break away speed, a little stiff arm, and nothing else.

The only way I see his role changing is if Chris Johnson misses time.

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I think Ringer has basically reached his potential. Not saying he is a bad back, but a good #2 that just is not capable of competing for a #1 spot. Sort of like that big back we had behind Brown a few years ago, name slips my mind. I think he came from Buffalo or New England.

4. JCBRAVE

Travis Henry? He was 5'9", but had the most amazing stiff arm Ive ever seen.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Nah

I think it was Antwan Smith. Guy was built somewhat like Eddie.

Yea it was, I thought I remember him being here longer though.

http://www.nfl.com/player/antowainsmith/2502997/profile

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Ringer is what he is.

StLouis will enjoy watching him run with just under average NFL ability in every measurable way.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. JCBRAVE

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Haha

I thought he was an okay #2 back.

9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Eh i've never been that big of a fan.

10. DownSouthPlayer

DownSouthPlayer Starter

At least we didnt keep the lazy Blount. Ringer is a hard worker even though he doesnt offer much.

"LeGarrette Blount's "lack of commitment" was reportedly a major concern for Bucs coaches from the first day he was acquired by the team.
    Blount was late for work every day for two weeks after the Bucs claimed him off waivers in 2010, piling up $15,000 in fines right off the bat. Bucs brass hired him a personal driver to get him to club headquarters on time, just three miles from his house. After two weeks, the service was canceled and Blount was late again. He still needed the car service in 2011. Blount also made a habit of falling asleep in meetings. While Blount is said to have had a strong offseason, new coach Greg Schiano won't stand for this kind of behavior going forward."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar