Titans Radio delay tonight

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

The irony is the fans were all sitting in
    the stands cussing about it. :ha:

2. moose4now

moose4now Starter

I don't need to hear from a player during a game. And, I'm sure the player could do without it,too.

It's probably the last thing they want to do during the game.

3. smili

smili Starter

My thoughts exactly. I like hearing the "hut/hut" and "blue 82" as much as the next guy, but if it ruins the broadcast get rid of it. I might be surprised how much I miss some of it though. (I normally watch on TV anyhow - but they have the same audio feed at line of scrimmage that radio gets.).

4. twoseven

twoseven Camp Fodder

Reply from Larry Stone on radio delay

Maybe we can make this a sticky.

Thanks for your email -- AND most importantly your passion for hearing Mike and Frank's call. It means a lot to me you would email me about this topic.

In short, you can thank Janet Jackson for the delay -- the FCC has cracked down on obscenity on both radio and television in the wake of this incident. The FCC answers to the public on these kinds of issues, however, special interest groups have taken the opportunity to seize on any obscenity and report it to the FCC -- making it appear to be a mass citizen protest.

This recently happened with a NASCAR event where a swear word came over the driver's radio and was aired on television. A conservative family group had its members report the incident to the FCC -- though it was found few of the people who reported the incident had even watched the race.

And, the FCC has increased the fines for obscentiy to about 350K per report.

That's the background. As for the delay Saturday night, our company felt as though it had no choice in the wake of the above.
    Keep in mind, this is not about Mike, Frank, Cody or myself "letting one slip." We have live microphones in the crowd and on the sidelines that could pick up a player, coach, official -- someone potentially using a expletive. With the delay in place, we have a chance to remove such an accidental airing. We will, however, continue to look at other alternatives that might allow us to give you the broadcasts in real time.

I am not a political type, but I would also encourage you to email the FCC -- they govern the public airwaves based on what you, a member of the public, wants. They would be interested to hear, not so much about this specific delay -- but if you believe, as I do, that a swear word picked up by a microphone at a football game is not the kind of obscentiy we need to be worried about as a society. Everyone involved should be more concerned about the willing and blatant use of obscenity -- that is, obscenity that is in the script of a television show -- or at the core of what a radio show is about.

There's the answer -- I hope it makes sense. And I hope you will let you fellow fans know that we, too, do not like the situation. And we continue to work on it. That's a promise.

Go Titans!
    Larry

---------------------------------------------------
    Larry Stone
    Executive Producer/Game Day Host
    Titans Radio
    506 2nd Ave South
    Nashville, TN 37210
    (615) 727-7020 phone (615) 259-1271 fax
    www.titansradio.com
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Follow The Titans With Mike, Frank & Larry On
    The 80+ Stations Of Titans Radio

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Same letter I received this morning.

6. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

That letter is a long way to say,
    "It's not our fault, write someone else."

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I have never watched you local broadcast before, and I hate to say it, but it was kinda lame. It wasn't even in HD. And the second half was even worse than the first half. And Eddie George wasn't too bad, but after listening to Wychek, Andre Ware, Warren Moon, and Spencer Tilman, Eddie George was pretty bad. Even getting a little dead air comment there in the first half.

If I had to choose and I was in TN, I definately go radio. I know it was only preseason, and they are warming up, but the broadcast seemed a little lifeless.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I'll be tuning out of the live broadcasts unless they can get the delay down to 2-3 seconds. I watch the play myself anyway and I only listen for their perspective on the play.

I had my son with me last night and did not even bother with a radio - I knew I would not be listening anyways - did they do post game OC/DC/HC reports??? Always one of my favorite things win or loose.

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

The TV commentators for the preseason are guys who could not get a full time gig anywhere making them available for a 4 game contract.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

The other day an Australian commentator was commentating a cricket match between South Africa and Sri Lanka and one of the Sth African players who is a muslim got a wicket and the Aussie commentator, thinking he was off-air and the microphones off, said 'The Terrorist got a wicket'. Which was apparently heard on TV as he wasn't off air.

He is now jobless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar