Titans potential suitors for DJ Fluker

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by KyTitansFan, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I really hope so, but the intention of moving him out to OT next year helps a bit.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I think OT is a position we have to worry about with the recent injuries to Dave Stewart. He may not last much longer.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

It makes perfect sense if Fluker is good enough. I've advocated this move myself as did RollTide weeks ago. I've read that Fluker could be very well suited at OG and one write up even said all-pro caliber. So IMO if any of that is true we are looking at a guy comparable to Warmack. Add in the potential to be a massive ground moving RT it makes even more sense. Now he has some questions about his game such as being poor with his footwork in pass protection. Some of those things can be corrected with coaching and often huge physical guys like him get by with brute strength (and in his case a massive wing span and huge hands) at the college level. Keep in mind, for what it is worth, Fluker is a much better RT prospect than Stewart coming out but at the same time if for some reason he doesn't tranlate to RT we still could have a great OG. Obviously the value is there if they can project Fluker to be a well above average RT on the order of Stewart or better.

Now as for signing an OG or even an OT to play OG we are already paying Levitre 8 mil a year. So it makes sense to NOT spend more money at the position and find a rookie to start there. Say we do draft an OG or Fluker. Now you have a quality guy you are only paying a rookie salary which basically lasts the length of Levitre's contract.

The big question I have is what they see long term at C. They only paid Velasco a one year contract which was all they had to pay him. But still, maybe if they saw him as the long term solution at OG or C maybe they ink him for three years or more. So maybe drafting a C in the 4th or later is an option (maybe even the late 3rd) even if they were to draft Fluker.

4. gran54

gran54 Starter

Potentially there's 2 theories here:

1.) We like Fluker at guard/tackle. Not just one of the positions, but we like his versatility. I've heard that David Stewart may not be ready to start the season so Fluker would presumably start the season at RT. When David comes back, Fluker would kick inside to guard. Passed that though, we have a very good set of tackles and we have for years, but they're getting long in the tooth and eventually will need to be replaced. That's the other part of this theory. Taking Fluker now could help us at guard and he can step in at tackle later.

2.) We like the fact that 3 tackles are potentially going in the top 7 picks and the need is great for a lot of teams. We throw up this smoke screen so we can find a potential suitor to trade back with. We don't have a huge need at tackle, but we do in the interior and we feel that this smoke screen could help us still get Cooper or Warmack at a later pick and acquire a few extra picks. Still get the same guy we've wanted all along and maybe pick up an extra draft pick or two in the process.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I'd say it is a little overblown saying Stewart won't last much longer. Not like he is breaking down. He had a broken leg. He has only missed a handful of games the last 6 years. The main problem is he is going to be 31 next season and while he can still play at a high level he will demand a fat contract. We also have Roos to pay. I'd keep him on board if he was willing to play for 5 mil a year on a three year (basically the same as he is making now) deal but he can get more in the market. So the question is how high do you go to keep him. Now it is possible he could stay on for the 6.4 option but why? If he can sign a new contract with more first year money that is what he will want to do. He can probably get 6.4 average for three years pretty easily after this year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Yes, you are right there too.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Had not seen anything on Stewart not being ready when the season starts. THat wouldn't neccesarily push the panic button if true however since Otto can fill in.

8. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Starter

DJ "Mother" Flucker at #10... I have already accepted this nightmare as reality. Makes it easier on the soul when the inevitable comes to fruition.

9. gran54

gran54 Starter

It's been a while since I heard that, but that's just my thoughts on how the FO MIGHT be looking at it. Not my preference on what we do at 10 though.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

How is getting a great player ever a nightmare? A player who is tough as hell, plays with 100% effort and has great leadership abilities?

Bama played mostly 4-3 teams the last 2 years but when Fluker was assigned to a DT or a big DT type he dominated them. He dominated John Jenkins in the Georgia game.

Could it be that the titans are looking at that film and want a 340 lb road grader guard who can push around opposing DTs? He is as good a guard prospect as Cooper and the best RT prospect in the draft.

You have a physically similar player in Osemele for the ravens who easily handled the switch from LT in college to LG and may permanently stay there and Fluker is a higher ranked prospect than he was last year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar