Titans Post-Draft Positional Breakdown: Offense

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Titans offense went into 2012 with two first-round draft picks at WR, a top RB who participated in offseason workout for the first time, a first-round QB ready to begin his rein, a talented TE entering a contact season and a veteran OL. There was reason for optimism.

The result was an offense that could not string together first downs, a running game that was often non-existent or abandoned, a QB who was hurt or struggled, an offensive scheme that changed mid-season followed by injuries galore. Disappointing doesn't begin to describe the 2012 Titans offense. What makes things worse is that there was little to take into the offseason to be excited about looking ahead to the 2013 season.

QB - It all begins and ends with Jake. All the signings and draft picks will do little unless Locker brings up his passer rating from a horrible 74.0 last season. I don't think the Titans need 3,500 passing yards from Locker as long as he can minimize the mistakes and use his legs when necessary. Jake has to make better decisions and begin showing more consistency with his accuracy or it'll be time to move on.

The reality of the modern NFL is that the #2 often will likely have to start a couple of games and, though he doesn't have to win the game, can't lose it. Fitzpatrick hopefully can do that as well, if not better, than Hasselbeck did the last two seasons. I had thoughts that the Titans might take a late-round chance on one of the falling QBs to develop but it appears the Rusty Rifle will keep his job for another year.

RB - How improved will CJ be behind the new OL? How will the Titans use Shonn Greene? Greene should step in as a third-down/short-yardage option and get a couple of series a game. He does give Loggains some options and I expect the Titans to go with whoever is the hot runner. With a lead late in games, it'll be nice to have Greene to eat clock. I look forward to seeing how CJ reacts to having another name RB on the roster. I hope he plays with a chip all season long.

I'm not 100% certain Jamie Harper is on the roster entering the season. He had an opportunity to step up last season and didn't. He doesn't seem to be improving or giving the Titans anything unique. Granted, he did get hurt but the Titans might look to upgrade. Reynaud's only value is as a returner because he was totally ineffective running the football. I think he'll battle Mariani for a roster spot this training camp.

I don't feel strongly one way or the other about Quinn Johnson or Mooney. I wonder if either will be on the roster if Loggains is like Dinger in his use of the FB.

TE - When Cook was on, he had big play potential but, unfortunately, he wasn't on enough. Blame scheme for not getting him the ball but Cook also shared a lot of blame for blowing opportunities. Regardless, he's gone and the versatile Delanie Walker is in who may give the Titans more options. He's a solid blocker but I doubt he has the big play ability Cook provided. I don't see Stevens getting a ton more work but Thompson is the wild card going into '13. While learning the position his rookie season, he looked lost at times so one wonders if the Titans can do much more than plug him into a few packages. Seeing where he is will be something to watch this camp.

WR - Will Britt ever be the player the Titans thought they drafted? Indications based on trading up to get Justin Hunter is "no", IMO. At least the Titans are covering their backsides by adding Hunter and Kevin Walter. Washington led the Titans in receiving the last two seasons but carries a $4.2 base going into '13. There might be an interesting camp battle between Williams, Hawkins, Mariani and Preston to grab one or two roster spots. Hunter gives the Titans a legitimate deep threat so I expect him to be worked into some packages right away. Wright had a productive rookie season and should benefit from a full offseason working out with Watterson.

OL - IMO, Roos and Stewart took a step backward in 2012. Let's hope it was the more about the players beside them and not the beginning of a decline for either. The interior OL will be very different with Levitre and Warmack starting at G. Spencer and Turner add experience but they are not guaranteed to make the final 53-man roster. I don't see Schwenke taking the C job from Velasco but we may see an open camp battle for the starting spot with the loser being a swing guy for both C and G. If the OL can play as well as their talent indicates, the run game will bounce back strong and we'll see Locker get a little more time in the pocket. Mike Otto and Stingily appear to have their backup roles nailed down for another season unless the Titans bring in someone before camp.

We've already heard it often and it'll continue to be said: "It's all about what Locker". The Titans beefed up the OL and added more weapons. Some may say Walker is a step back from Cook as a playmaker but I think the Titans are looking for versatility and consistency from their TEs and big play potential from the WRs. If Locker plays well, we may be in for an exciting season from the offensive side of the ball.

• High Five High Five x 10
  2. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

Excellent post.

I'm really looking forward to what this offense can become. I know this has been said a million times, but it all comes down to Locker.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

We need a 3rd down back badly. Reynaud is terrible. Greene can't catch or block, and there is no point in having CJ get blown up by blitzers on 3rd and 20.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

On 3rd-and-20, he'll be on the sidelines and the backfield empty.

3rd-and-2? Different story.

5. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Hunter will take the place of Cook in terms of being that BIG guy who can stretch the field and create mismatches from the slot.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Honestly, CJ is an underrated blocker. The dude isn't afraid of putting his body on the line to protect Locker.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yea C.J. is an underrated blocker, 9 out of 10 times he's making great blocks for the QB.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I believe in Jake, so QB isn't the issue for me, it's the O-Line coming together, and if that alone happens, we're gonna be gooood.

9. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Agreed. Justin Hunter.jpg

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Hunter needs to hit the weight room hard. Once he bulks up he should be great. May take a couple years though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar