Titans Players that I think will and will not be back (2006)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titans2871, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titans2871

titans2871 Adrian Who?

After looking at the current roster. This is who I think will and will not be back by position. What do you all think?

Centers

Keep
    Justin Hartwig- I can not see how the titans can let him go into FA mode.
    Eugene Amano

Cornerbacks

Keep
    Pacman Jones
    Reynaldo Hill
    Andre Woolfork

Let go
    Rich Garder
    Tony Beckham
    Michael Waddell-he might stay depending on the draft

Defensive Ends

Keep
    Kyle Vanden Bosch-the titans are going to have to pay him, but they need 2
    Travis Laboy
    Antwan Odom
    Bo Schebol

Defensive Tackles

Keep
    Albert Hanynesworth
    Randy Starks
    Rein Long

Let go
    Jared Clauss

Guard

Keep
    Benji Olson
    Jacob Bell

Let go
    Zach Piller-either Olson or Piller will have to go. Piller has a little higher cap

Linebacker

Keep
    Keith Bulluck
    Peter Sirmon
    Rob Reynolds

Let go
    Brad Kassell
    Rocky Boiman
    Cody Spencer

Quarterback

Keep
    Steve McNair-even though he is not worth 9 mil
    Matt Mauck-capable #3, but depends on draft

Let go
    Billy Volek-he will not be let go, but traded to someone

Runningbacks

Keep
    Travis Henry-with a restructed deal
    Jarrett Payton
    Damien Nash-we took him to high last year to let him go this early
    Troy Fleming

Let go
    Chris Brown-RFA-depends on Henry situation-so this is up in the air still

Safety

Keep
    Tank Williams-it takes 2 years to overcome a ACL, and he will be a little cheaper because of the 2005 performance. Can be a top 5 safety if he comes back 100% this year.
    Vincent Fuller
    Lamont Thompson-even though I think he will be challenged in camp

Let go
    Donnie Nickey

Tackles

Keep
    Michael Ross
    David Stewart
    Daniel Looper

Let go
    Brad Hopkins-unless he restructures

Tight Ends

Keep
    Erron Kinney
    Ben Troupe
    Bo Scaife

Let go
    Gregg Guenther

Wide Receivers

Keep
    Drew Bennett
    Brandon Jones
    Roydell Williams
    Cortney Roby
    Tyrone Calico-his last year of his rookie contract. Hard to let a 2nd round go before the contract is up.

Let go
    O.J. Small
    Sloan Thomas
    Bobby Wade-even though word is the titans coaches are big on wade-so ?

Keep
    Craig Hentrich
    Rob Borinas-will be challenged in camp but showed enough to stay

That makes 16 players will be let go. 6-9 will be Draft Picks! That leaves between 7-10 players that we could look at in Free Agency. I know that not all of you will agree with this so let me know what you think. Our current roster KEEPS AND LET GO mean just as much as the DRAFT. Let me know what you think........

2. Olson is the guard with the big cap hit, so he's the one who will go. Piller probably sticks around for another year because his cap hit won't be much smaller even if they cut him.

Chris Brown isn't a free agent, so he'll stay (unless they draft Bush and trade him or something along those lines).

Waddell will be back, because he's currently the #4 CB and cheap.

Clauss will be in camp for sure, not that his job is guaranteed if they add another DT.

Thompson is gone unless he takes a big paycut. Tank is iffy...

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Hey SK,
    What about OJ Small? :wink2:

4. Sadly, he'll be gone. :cry:

But the good news is that I should be able to get a few cheap game-worn jerseys with my name on them... :winker:

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Now much to disagree with...

I don't think williams will be a top 5 SS but hopefully he can beat out randall for the starting job.

I'd like to see them try and trade kinney. What do we need with 3 TEs? Kinney counts $1.9M against the cap so even a high 5th rd pick might be worth it. I'm not knocking him i just think it is time for troupe to be the main man and we know scaife is a solid #2.

I don't know why people think that brown is an UFA. Brown will only count $600K against the cap which is an absolute bargain for a guy with almost 2500 yards of offense the last 2 seasons. He's too talented, and too young just to give up on and he doesn't cost much.

6. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I would like to see them keep Guenther. I saw him play at camp this year and he looked pretty good. We do use a lot of tight ends.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Post #1 did refer to Brown as RFA.
    There would be a cap hit I think if he were let go.

8. Ragevsuall

Ragevsuall Guest

Beckham looked great in camp also, didn't he?

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Guenther is an inexpensive secret weapon. He can stick around for not much. If he improves on blocking, then uh-oh Kinney, after another season, possibly. I think they'll keep him out of fear that if they only carry three, they'll be down to one at some point.

Henry should be trade bait for a 3rd/4th rounder. If a 4th, we try to package and move into the 3rd.

Volek will be trade bait in all likelihood if we draft a QB at #3.

Lamont should restructure I think. Not a bad idea.

I think they'll keep Wade and let the other two go.

Kassell will be gone, but I think one of Boiman/Spencer will remain.

Waddell definitely stays. Gunner, nickle and inexpensive.

Boy that tackle roster looks thin without Hopkins on it. That would indicate Bell/Stewart on the right, or using a draft pick.

Clauss will remain. He's very smart and solid depth who keeps the line fresh.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I should add if a better FA WR appears, Wade could be let go.

Volek for a 3rd or 2nd.

Marcus Randall - S; I think he stays after a good camp. Will contribute on STs and replace Nickey. Also think they could ride with 4 corners (Jones, Hill, Woolfolk, Waddell) unless another draft pick fell into our laps, like Tye Hill in the 2nd (doubtful). Don't think they're looking for a FA here, Woodson being the most notable.

So all that is to say, I think they could ride with more safeties than corners if one looks good via draft or FA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar