Titans Players Expect More Aggressive Defense From Cecil

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Though the Titans have changed defensive coordinators in adding former hard-hitting safety Chuck Cecil, don't expect major changes in the team's scheme on defense. However, some expect Cecil's personality to result in more aggressive calls in certain situations. "A lot of the same things as Schwartz as far as down and distance, but at the same time, you can tell he’s sort of gutsy," Cortland Finnegan said. "He always picks on the DBs and says, 'Earn that money,' and he’ll put us in man-to-man situations, maybe on third and short. Even on fourth down, he’ll blitz the house and say, 'Cover your man.'" Others feel Cecil's approach will be more about attitude than a change in philosophy. "I just know he’s not scared of anything. He played the game that way, and he’s not intimidated by anybody," Chris Hope said. "He played the game with a chip on his shoulder, and I’m pretty sure he’s going to coach the game with a chip on his shoulder."

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

even with AH leaving our defense is going to rough and tough. i cant wait for the first big crushing hit delivered. this is going to be a great year.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

no more base prevent! :woot:

4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Smack the b*tch Hines Ward in the mouf!

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. desfletcher316

desfletcher316 Occasional visitor

Good. Should make us more fun to watch

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Our defenses philosophy has always been 'do your job' so remaining 'conservative' on D shouldn't be a surprise. As for blitzes, if there needed they'll be called. I believe one of the main reasons coach Cecil obtained the defensive coordinator job was because he could keep this current defense in Tennessee going strong as if there was no coaching change. I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt seeing that Schwartz was in a similar position taking over many years ago as coordinator of the defense.

7. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

IIRC, Finny popped him one good time in our game against them last season.
    Here's to Finny doing it again...albeit with Ward limping off the field this time.

8. smileyforall

smileyforall Da Blue Mamba

And not scoring a touchdown....

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I'm real curious to see how this defense looks.
    With Schwartz it seemed like he was a solid coach but when he didn't have the talent he sucked and when he had talent he wasn't anything special IMO.
    Maybe Cecil can take the defense to another level.

Of course it could all backfire the opposite way. We think and hope Cecil will do a good job but who knows?

10. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

D a m n, that's right. I thought he downed Ward inside the 5. Oh well. Wasn't that their only TD that game anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar