Titans Payroll Ranked #32 In 2005

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: The Tennessee Titans carried the lowest NFL payroll in 2005. According to figures gathered by USA Today, the Titans spent $61,332,658 last season. The reason is dead money under the salary cap and almost two dozen first or second year players on the roster. The Seahawks carried the NFL's highest payroll in 2005, with a figure of $100,604,116. Seattle ranked as one of eight teams with total payrolls over $90 million. According to USA Today figures, the Titans also ranked near the bottom in median salary among 32 NFL teams. The Titans' median salary in 2005 came in at $459,730.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

how the heck is washington so low?

I wonder where the Colts rank.

3. mdfan

mdfan Starter

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Texans rate more then the Colts.

Interesting.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

That's actually a really interesting chart.

Look at the top ten teams on there. 5 made the playoffs, 2 had top ten picks.

Look at the bottom ten teams on there. 4 made the playoffs, on 2 had top ten picks.

If anything, I'd say that that chart says that salary cap hell does not play that big a role in the success of a football team.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Maybe not a single year, but I'll bet there is a trend if we were to plot out 2003, 2004, 2005.

7. GoTitans3801

If anyone can find those numbers, I'd love to see them.

It's not that I don't believe that the salary cap has effects on a team's ability to win, but those numbers really surprised me. I feel pretty good saying that there are other much bigger factors. There are teams every year who could change their record by three or four wins with minor adjustment, additude change, whatever. Some teams are in for a bad year, some teams are built for a good one, but I don't think it's as much about the salary cap as is promoted, and I think that chart is decent evidence at least.

8. but for a proffesional football team to have an average of 400,000 something dollars is horrible

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The chart is basically meaningless. The more money paid up front in players contracts will reduce the amount paid in salary and visa versa. Thats why there are good and bad teams at both ends of the chart. All NFL teams basically pay out the same amount of money to players on average and use most of their CAP.

10. GoTitans3801

That's true, but doesn't that mean that the teams on the high end are the teams with the smallest amount of money invested in past bonuses? And the teams at the bottom are those with the most "dead money" from old players and paid bonuses for current players?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar