Titans/Oilers books?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by titanbuoy, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Just curious what books have been written about this franchise or it's players.

I own

Loser Takes All... Bud Adams, Bad Football & Big Business by Ed Fowler (1997)
    (bitter Houston based writer takes his shots at Bud and the team... despite the poison pen approach there's still a lot of great stuff in this book)

and I picked up a couple of Earl Campbell books on eBay

Earl Campbell The Driving Force by Sam Blair (1980)
    Earl Campbell Houston Oiler Superstar by Betty Lou Phillips (1979)

(still haven't got my mitts on these yet)

I've seen a recent Elvin Bethea bio on eBay also (as he played his entire career from the late sixties to the mid eighties with the franchise this one could be quite good).

Any others?

2. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

3. Overalls

Overalls Starter

And you would be wrong. It's a good book though. Shows you what kind of snake Dud Adams has been through the years. Can't Y'all please add some modern infrastructure to get him to move away from here.

4. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Overalls, have you checked out the Bethea book? Was there ever a decent book released on Warren Moon?

5. Overalls

Overalls Starter

The only Oiler book I've read is Loser Takes All. I have thought about getting the Bethea Book and Might check out E-bay or Amazon for it. I think there is a Moon book, but am not sure.

6. Overalls

Overalls Starter

Ok. Your question about Moon got me wondering and I looked around and didn't really find a "book" on Warren. I did however find this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=24509&item=160135393372

They are calling it a book, but it is only 8 pages. I like Warren, but figured one of you guys might apreciate it. It is about Warrens NFL man of the year, year.

Auction ends July 14th.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I believe I burned all the books at a temperature of 451 after the Buffalo game. Good luck finding one, but when you do, prepare for pain and misery and emotional distress. You will never be the same.

8. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I think I'll just wait for the movie.

Wonder why Moon hasn't done a book. It seems like his well travelled career would make for an excellent read.

Finished reading both Campbell books. They weren't overly spectacular and were kind of frustrating in the sense that they were both penned in late 1979 (after just two seasons in the NFL), but I did learn a few interesting tidbits...

-Campbell originally played LB in Highschool and grudgingly moved to RB his junior year.

- played at 245-250lbs in college until his senior year when new Texas coach Fred Akers urged him to drop to 220-225... that worked out pretty well.

- The Bucs had the number 1 pick in 1978. Tampa Bay coach and GM John McKay made it clear he wanted to deal the pick so he could acquire multiple assets to rejuvinate his lowly squad (also he had drafted USC RB Ricky Bell a year or two before). Early specualtion had the Raiders, Rams and Cowboys as the early front runners in the Campbell sweepstakes. Bud Adams phoned McKay and made it clear that he wanted a shot at Campbell. Initially McKay asked for White Shoes Johnson plus picks, but Bum Phillips indicated that Johnson wasn't available for trade. In the end the Oilers successfully traded up from #17 to acquire the #1 pick. The Bucs recieved the Oilers first and second picks in 78, a third in 79 and 2nd year TE Jimmie Giles. Giles, a former Oiler 3rd round pick was the lynch pin in the deal. Fortunately for Phillips and the Oilers, John McKay was totally enamoured with Giles who really hadn't done anything of note yet in the league. The terms of the trade were McKay's suggestion and according to Phillips "I told him yes as quick as I could speak, I hung up the phone and we just looked at each other wondering if it was all a dream". The Bucs were scorned for getting fleeced in the deal, but to be fair two years later the up until then perennially hapless franchise went to the NFC Championship game with Doug Williams tossing passes to Giles (Giles went on to have a solid career with the Bucs, including a few Pro Bowls)

- most NFL players and coaches of the period who played against Campbell believed he was the best since Jim Brown (those same players and coaches would have played against the likes of OJ and Walter so that's no small compliment}

- both Campbell and Bum Phillips down played the toll Earl's running style would take on him saying that Earl delivers the punishment rather than absorbing it. Given EC's current health those comments read a lot differently in 2007 then they did in in 1980.

yadda X 3

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Unfortunately nothing seems to have changed in 2007.How many times have we seen & heard about RB's being run into the ground.

Larry Johnson is the current favorite. He believes he can handle the load & his coaches are happy to abuse him. Curtis Martin kept playing until he literally couldn't because they say his knees are now bone on bone,his cartilage has worn away altogether.

Someone walking away while they're still heathly like Tiki Barber is a rarity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar