Titans Offseason Positional Analysis: Running Backs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I don't think there's any doubt Olsen will have to be replaced soon, but I still think he's a solid run blocker. In games where he was taken out, I went back and watched the series right before it to see if he looked hurt....but I couldn't see it. I was wondering if sometimes he was taken out for something other than his back, but I guess it was always his back.

I agree that Mawae isn't PB caliber now. He gets pushed around too much, but is still quick enough to seal of guys for blocks. Kinda similar to Bell. I think his botched snaps hurt the most this year, he's still a decent C overall though. I think he stays for the last year of his contract, then Harris or Amano take over for 09 and on.

2. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

His average is less than average, therein lies the problem.

Keep justifying mediocrity.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Ubig, so ignore the circumstances he played in?

Clinton portis a back with significant speed(4.42 combine) who has averaged over 5 yards a carry before has also had 2 seasons in his career when he was similar to lendale. Twice in his career portis was below 4 yards a carry. Did portis get slower those years..

Lendale did average 4 yards a carry in his rookie year. Let's see how he does with a more balanced offense and more help. I think we are going to upgrade the interior of our o-line.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What do fisher and reinsfeld think?

I believe they are very satisfied with white and still feel henry can be a player. They are not going to draft another runningback. I also don't think they have given up entirely on our 3 rookie Wrs. P williams, ealy and davis being significant contributers.

I doubt if MR is thinking these picks are garbage the way most of you think they are..

5. Nine

Nine Starter

Lendale has a relatively low per-carry average, and isn't much of a home-run threat. Very true.....he left a lot of yards on the field, and may go his whole career without a run of 40+ yards.

However, people need to go back and watch some of his short-yardage running, particularly at the end of games. He had several 3-5 yard runs that were simply unbelievable.....runs where half the defense stood him up at the LOS for no gain, but somehow Lendale drove the entire pile forward (with no blocking) to convert the first down.

We're not talking about once or twice, here....this happened time after time, week after week. It may just look like a 4-yard gain on the stat sheet....not much. But when you consider the context and the manner in which those yards were gained, many of these plays were simply amazing.

No, he's not going to juke or run past anybody, and he's something of a one-trick pony. He's a power runner, plain and simple. But when asked to do what he does well, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone better.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

agree 100%

Feed the fat boy the ball

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I thought the idea was to have him eat less... :ha:

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Who's doubting LW can hammer the ball?

Problem is he's a limited feature back. Despite moving piles, he doesn't break a lot of tackles. He misses out on many yards a guy with speed or moves could get. We can do better, but if we don't try to get someone better, I hope he can at least get in better shape and better himself.

9. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

Chow is out guys he is out of Nashville :beer2: :beerbang: Hoooray !!!

10. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

Now we need a Offensive cordinator that can work with a mobile QB, More spread offense on 08 please!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar