Titans Offseason Positional Analysis: Running Backs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Over the next few weeks, I'll be looking at the Titans by position. For the first installment, I want to focus on the running backs.

The Titans ended the season fifth in the league in rushing with 2,109 yards (131.8 yards per game). However, this stat doesn't necessary mean Titans running backs ranked as high because that stat includes Vince Young's 395 rushing yards. Combined, Titans RBs generated 1,691 on 436 carries for a 3.88 ypc avg. and 14 TDs.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

Our running game is kind of decent, we need some heavy hitters at the wide out position!!

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Good article and I think an accurate prediction for what the next years RB situation will look like.

When written that our season ending 5th place total is misleading because of Vince's yards, I think that's a little confusing.

The RB that will break the best long TD runs for us, is Vince Young. Beyond our passing game opening up more opportunities, I hope Young's running game is improved next season.

One thing that seemed to help in the season opener was Jacksonville's fear of Vince sprinting to the outside. Along the season, that fear was diminished. If teams become afraid of the outside threat again, that may deliever a higher YPC average for LW on those up the middle runs.

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Nice analysis.

I agree with Alex that it'd be nice to see VY healthy and willing to make more big runs next year. And it also appeared the only game he was really keyed in on was the 1st Jax game. Mike Petterson was caught spying him a lot, which opened up the middle. We need to keep teams guessing next year so we aren't as obvious as run LW up the middle.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Yes, it was.

What I wanted to show is that a fifth place finish in rushing yards doesn't necessarily mean that Titans RBs were that successful since it includes Young's yardage. Remove his yardage and only count the RB production and it shows just how far it was from some of the top rushing teams this season.

6. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Booooooooooooo Chris Henry! How a rookie with no college stats gonna act like he got swagger like that?

Yea, it's like that!

7. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

There seems to be a good crop of RBs in this year's class, so we can probably find someone in the mid-rounds to complement/compete with LW and Henry.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Personally, I'm tired of people discounting Vince's rushing yards. It's like people don't want to recognize that part of being a qb includes rushing the ball. And part of being a qb is being a rb. While I'm more compassionate with the reasoning here for not considering it, I'm really not compassionate at all to those who analyze the qb position without tracking those yards. So at what point do they count? Or are they just magical yards that he can never get credit for? They don't count when he is qb. And now they don't count for the team rushing stats, and it just kills me.

9. terrykalaka

terrykalaka Camp Fodder

The point is that those "magical" yards will dissappear when the dude gets older and after a few hundred more hits by linebackers and safetys and a few more injuries. Yardage for a qb doesn't count at all, the only running stat that counts for a qb is first downs rushing. How many did he get??

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

This was an evaluation of the RBs, not the rushing game. If you want to truly evaluate the RBs, you have to count only the production by the RBs. To do that, you have to remove Young's numbers.

Make better sense now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar