Titans offense, 2005 vs 2006

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nine

Nine Starter

Honestly, I think we've got a pretty solid lineup on the offensive side of the ball....the problem last year wasn't a lack of talent, but a lack of execution, with a healthy dose of bad luck thrown in.

Early in the season, penalties killed us. Every time the Titans had a big play, it was called back....almost without exception. It got so bad, when the Titans would score, I literally expected to see a flag come out...and I was usually right.

Chris Brown was hit especially hard by this; he had at least three or four TD's nullified by O-line penalties before he finally scored one that stood. (He also had a number of 20+ yard runs called back, including two in one game.) And while we're on the subject, Pacman had at least two TD's and a couple more huge returns called back because of penalties; as I recall, he scored at least three or four TD's last year, but only one of them actually counted.

McNair threw 11 INT's last year....of those, almost half of them were perfectly thrown balls, but the receiver screwed it up. Bennett caused three INT's by bobbling or misplaying balls, Roydell Williams ran the wrong route on another INT, and lest we forget, Brandon Jones blew out his ACL on a play that resulted in a touchdown INT return for the Niners. (Not that BJones was to blame....it's just crap luck, is all.)

This year, my biggest concerns are the unproven members of the O-line, and the ongoing QB saga. But even if those positions offer no better than an average performance, I believe the offense will be much more potent in '06.....hell, they practically sleepwalked through most of the '05 season, and still ended up the middle of the pack, statistically speaking. I think a lot of people are going to be very surprised.

2. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

If we can light a fire under Benji and Zach ( if not get Bell in) and have Stewart or Loper step up on the right side I think our line will clear some paths for the rb's this year.

3. I remember all those penalities, and like Nine, whenevr we scored a TD (not that often), I would almost expect it to be called back.

We need to improve our red zone efficiancy, perhaps the biggest priority

4. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

If you're going to count in all of the INT's that shouldn't have been, you have to count all of the shoulda been picks but weren't. Everyone else has INT's caused by their wideouts as well. 11 picks isn't bad at all though...

5. FLTitansfan

FLTitansfan Guest

I think they will try to go back to 10-3 14-10 type ball games like the bears of last year or the 99 titans of course there will be the occasional 38 point output but when and how often....... They will be fine even though on paper they have a tough schedule.

6. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

I agree with you. BUT the offense has to help the defense help the offense. When the D makes a stop the offense can't go out there and go 3 and out everytime. They are going to have to make longer drives this year and more of them to give the Defense a rest. The D was on the field too much last year, and they were always tired. So if the O helps the D, the D will help the O...

7. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

One of the EXCUSES I heard last year was, "We had to abandon our plan (the run) because the other team put up too many points too fast". This is where I think this 2006 defense is going to change things this year. I think alot of teams are going to be surprised when they go up against this D.
    As for the TDs being called back because of penalties last year. How do you think we got the TD in the first place? Holding. Off Sides. Illegal Motion.

8. Yeh, once our D turns on the heat, we can finally have a competitive game, where we're not chasing a lead

9. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

i like the offence this year.. i think signing givens was great because if u remember when we had mason it took the pressure off bennett to be the big time reciever.. more coverage was on mason so it left bennett wide open so with givens it should be back to that and with our young recievers we got a squad on offence.. TE's Ben Troupe , Erron Kinney , Bo Scaife , Gregg Gunther i mean wow troupe and kinney are beasts... chris brown and travis henry at RB two 1,000 yard rushers... we will be in the top 10 on offence this year and we will make the playoffs..

10. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I hope you're right.
    <marquee><font color=blue><font size ="+2">GO TITANS...............GO TITANS.........GO TITANS............</FONT></font></marquee>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar