Titans need a playmaker at WR.....and who can catch...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansCountry25, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Glinks...

There is a flaw in your suggestion. The most obvious is that Moss is a ME player who's thrown his team, QB and Head Coach under the bus at different times. You expect him to admonish other WR's? Moss doesn't play hard when the ball's not coming to him. When the Vikes were being dismantled by the Giants in the NFC Championship game, Moss had chances to catch balls to potentially get their offense going and he gave up. We don't need that kind of player around Vince Young - who's already shown his willingness to sacrifice his body for the team.

Most importantly is NOT bringing in a player that is gonna whine/complain when he doesn't get the ball. Even worse, a player who dogs it when he doesn't get the ball. Worse still is that this would lead to a power struggle between VY's leadership vs Moss's star appeal and potential. VY will win out, but that will only lead to VY with a big headache and a lot of wasted cap as we'd then have to get rid of Moss. Bad idea though it'd be great to have his deep threat ability.

Other problems are that keeping Givens, Moss and Bennett means all the WR's currently here (the BJones, Roby, Williams, ect) won't stay here so we'd have to draft all new WR's to replace the top 3 in time. All of the above 3 have issues so this is NOT the ideal situation...especially since it'd cost us a lot of money for those 3.

Gut

2. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

With so many receivers out there, Fisher is not going to put up with a head case like Moss. He has already stated he would never be on this team. For what little talent he brings, the disruptions he can cause are not worth it.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

You're absolutely right, if that's the Randy Moss we get or end up with. I was only saying I think Moss, being a lesser evil than say, Owens, could shape up and fly right. He and Culpepper dissolved, and you knew Aaron Brooks wasn't going to make him happy. I guess my point was if he can be transformed to a degree, as this team has, by playing with Vince Young, where Moss can be more accountable than not, then I would want him.

If they did do something like that, Bennett could become expendable. Got mixed feelings on that one, too.

If we did add him, we would presumably keep those guys and possibly Wade. Bennett would still be the first to move off the team, I think, and you could still resign a couple of those 3 WRs when their contracts are up.

I still think we could use an example playmaker at the WR position. Givens is supposed to be that guy. Will he? Tough to say. I think Givens could benefit from that type of playmaker as well, though.

I do believe another offseason with Vince will do wonders for him and the receivers, but I don't want to see this type of low-level production another year.

Maybe the solution will result from VY year 2/ Norm Chow year 3. Really hope we keep Norm around to go along with Vince. If our offensive success grows the way it has been, then yes, we could be fine. We still need to find a way to stretch the field and get a couple of deep plays per game regardless.

4. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Given the choice, I'll take Sweed.

5. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

The "Texas connection" seems to work pretty well, with Scaife and Hall. If we could get Sweed reasonable, I am all for it.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

The problem with headcase star WR's is that they see themselves as that...a star! That's not to say Moss isn't good, but when those guys don't get the ball, they don't put the team first, they put their ego first. Moss has some contrition about his time with the Vikes now that he's in a worse spot with the Raiders, but he still does the same stuff...not run hard on off plays nor block, ect.

Our production will increas as Vince becomes better. If you had Vince Young 5 years from now with this exact group of wr's, we'd be fine. The low production is because we don't pass that much and frankly, we have had guys open deep. Sometimes we hit them and sometimes we don't. But considering our D is last, we're gonna try to control the clock more often than not and that is by pounding the ball, not bombing it.

And my point about the younger WR's is that why would they re-sign with the Titans if they aren't gonna play for 3 more years? They wouldn't.

Gut

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Hmmm...to me it's not a foregone conclusion that people cannot change their ways. I would want Moss if he could be a team player. I think perhaps the last couple of years might have changed his mind about some things.

Our younger WRs are going to play regardless. We have enough injuries that everyone gets in on the game, I believe.

I also keep the door open to signing a FA WR because we might not actually resign Drew Bennett.

I seem to recall you posting something about finding Moss intriguing. Well, what exactly about him intrigues you? (Does it have something to do with that smoothie shop he opened in West Virginia? I agree. That is intriguing. I wonder what flavors they have.)

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Did you change your mind there? Just curious to know what you were thinking.

9. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

For whatever reason running Quaterbacks never pan out.. Randall Cunningham, Michael Vick.. let's hope VY breaks that mold.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yes...

Moss is intriguing because strategically it would completely change how teams played our offense. Could you really play 8 in the box with Moss on one side and Bennett on the other? And going 3 WR's would force 2 Safeties deep. That's the intriguing part.

And when I wrote that post, the only thing I heard about Moss was that he was sorry for forcing the Vikes to dismantle the team (meaning he's in a worse spot now). I figured he might be worth getting cheap (compared to his talent)...but more recently I've heard he still is up to his old ON THE FIELD antics...and it's just not worth it.

I'd rather build up the D into a dominant unit. That will get us more mileage than Moss...especially considering Moss could be a headcase and wreck the offense and cause a power struggle between VY and Moss. Not worth the risk...especially considering other players that could be affected...like Pacman!

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar