Titans Must Use Preseason to Build Confidence

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I completely agree that the win-loss record doesn't mean squat. However, performance of your first does team does matter. Unfortunately, there is no statistically way to confirm this- but suffice it to say that most people agree the performance of first or second team match-ups in pre-season is a way to measure where your team is at. Right now, based on the Denver game, our first and second team defense appears to be right where they were (or worse) than last year.

So yes, panic is probably a stronger word than necessary at this juncture, but I am concerned that not enough has been done to improve the defense.

I am expecting a MUCH better defense on the field than what we have seen over the past two years. Anything short of that I consider failure.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I have built a panic room, but unfortunately, it has HD and Direct TV in it..... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Preseason records are not a good indicator but having a 5th string RB you cut and an UDFA RB run all over you like your defense was toilet paper is IMO.
    Maybe we shouldn't panic yet but if we don't see considerable improvement in the next two pre-season games we are in trouble.

The middle of our OL is also still a concern. Why can't our RBs get the kind of holes to run through that other teams seem to consistently make for their backs? Volek was under pressure on every single passing play it seemed like while our DL wasn't getting much pressure at all.

4. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

players dont usually give all that the have in their tank in the preseason...so lets just wait and see what happens when the season actually starts

5. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

The sky is falling

[​IMG]

6. moose4now

moose4now Starter

I'd say the term everyone is looking for, at this point of the pre-season, is "concerning."

I don't think there's any need to "panic" or "worry." But, from what we've seen, I'd say there is reason for "concern."

The other two terms are so much stronger than the latter. And, I don't think we've reached that point, yet.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Wiley should have listened to the road runner!:))

[​IMG]

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

IMO, the middle of our OL has been a problem since 2001 from a consistency standpoint. In '02, the Titans entered camp talking about establishing the run again too and it never really materialized though much of that was on Eddie. McNair had guys in his face far too often last year despite three-step drops. I remain puzzled as to why the team didn't try to upgrade Piller and Olson.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I think many of us were puzzled considering the O-line prospects available in the 2nd and 4th round of the draft this year.

10. Louisiana Titan

Louisiana Titan Camp Fodder

Well put...there is reason to be CONCERNED!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar