Titans May Have Difficulty Keeping Odom

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Ooch, we all know why we just barely made the playoffs it was because of our QB and our offense.

2. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Roll.. are you being sarcastic?
    If anything, its our QB and offense which almost ended our playoff hunt.

3. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Oh nevermind.. scratch that.
    i didnt catch the word "barely" the first time i read your post.

4. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

Oh, I realize that our offense was all that held us back this season, my comment was simply that the difference between making and missing the playoffs isn't as huge as it seems.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Pitbull that's what i meant.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Bryce fisher..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=2001

04......48 tackles 9 sacks..

05......47 tackles.....9 sacks......8 PD

06.......46 tackles....4 sacks...

Guy was one of the most valuable players on that 05 seahawks team that went to the super bowl. He is 30 years old and will be 31 in may. Reinsfeld knows this guy and thought it worth a 6th rd pick for him. He is cheap on the cap, has playoff experience and is a character guy. Unless he has significant health problems there is no reason to expect a contribution for this year. Based on his play from 06 i don't see a drop off.

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Smith is consistent, but what do you mean by "more active?"

FWIW, Smith's best year is his rookie season in which he had 8.5 sacks (2001). Since then, he's had 6.5, 5.0, 8.0, 6.0, 7.5 and 2.0. I think this: He's heading into season #8 (we have Bryce Fisher). I just think there is a known ceiling here, and Odom I think is going to be a double digit guy. The number of hurries he had was sick.

A Tuck type deal in TN goes a little further. If we lose Odom, there's a good chance we overpay to replace him (overpay the player we get, and might have to pay more than we would for Odom).

In the end, I don't think it's time to be stingy with our FA DE. For continued improvement, I think it's important to return the same starters to our best unit on the team for next year.

I'd even pay Odom up to 5 years $35M (in comparison to Tuck), inflated with some incentives for double digit sacks and Pro Bowl.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

To add to the DE discussion, I've read from Bongo59 the Titans are looking at Calvin Pace as a FA (who is a LB with the Cardinals) and Derrick Burgess from the Raiders, which would have to be via trade since he has two years remaining.

I'd like to get Groves in the draft, myself, but that's to replace LaBoy, not Odom.

9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Yeah I agree. Get Groves. If Odom does go though, go with Burgess.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

G-links, what makes you think odom is getting better when he tripled his career high in sacks? 2007 was a contract year under ideal circumstances when teams were focused on blocking haynesworth and KVB.

He is not some emerging stud just an average guy coming off a career year.

Tuck had a better year than odom, is 2 years younger and plays every position up front.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar