Titans making a crucial mistake...again!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...they already announced who is in control of the 53 man roster and it's NOT Hue Jackson.

Gase was the last one standing last year when all the jobs were filled. It has been reported on NFL network he was more aggressive this year. I don't know if it was the first job offer he got, but it sure looks like he took the first job that was offered that was acceptable to him. If not, wouldn't he have wanted to wait for an interview with the Titans? Problem is, if he was still waiting for that, again, most of the jobs would have been filled and if we had decided to go with Bevell or McDaniels, he'd again not be a HC.

Chip Kelly chose San Fran for a few reasons. First, the Titans hadn't even scheduled an interview. Second, he wants a mobile QB. And third, San Fran wanted him.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well, your theory holds if you have 100 candidates you truly believe are worthy candidates. Unfortunately, this is for the fans as NO TEAM will interview 15 candidates, let alone 100. it's because there aren't 15 quality candidates who are available and would come to TN. Guys like David Shaw and Saban already are staying in college as well as a handful of other quality college coaches. Who's left?

We are stuck with what is left because we didn't even schedule an interview with the earlier candidates. That's not to say the sky is falling and we can't still land a good HC, but it is poor practice to be behind everyone else in the interview process. The Titans lost out on a lot of valueable info they could have gotten just from seeing how all of these candidates view the roster, what they think we should do with the offense, defense, special teams, and strengths and weakness of the team from an outside the building perspective.

Right now I think our top choices are a strong coordinator or a HC. The coordinators left to look at are McDermott and Austin on D (though both coordinate a 4-3), McDaniels, Bevell, and Shula on the offense. Might as well bring in Taub even though he's a special teams guy. As far as HC's, you have Marrone and Coughlin.

I'm almost positive Coughlin won't come here just due to his health, age, moving his family for a rebuild. Marrone doesn't sit well with me because he dumped his team and HC job to try and get some extra money.

So on the one hand, you can look at it that we can still bring in McDaniels, Bevell, Shula, and McDermott after they lose. So the good thing is, there are still some excellent choices that WILL be available. The problem is, how are they gonna build a staff with what's left? This is how Munchak ended up having to get some less than ideal people.

If we move quickly now, who are we picking from...Marrone, Austin, maybe Pat Shurmur or Mularkey. I could see in that field, the titans choosing Mularkey with the thought process of Austin wants a 4-3 D, Marrone quit on his team and how much of a difference is there between Mularkey and Shurmur (I'd argue a lot, but that's me). Plus, the fact that we haven't seen any of the defensive staff even look anywhere else (as far as I know) makes me think this has been Mularkey's to lose all along.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

As I said earlier, we jumped fast last time and that ended as a disaster.

I applaud the Titans for getting their GM in place first. I also think there are still quality candidates out there and there will be plenty of coordinator/position coaching out there.

Munchak was hired on Feb 7. That three weeks from now. If the Titans don't have a HC in place by then, I think we can agree it's time to be concerned.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

But that's my concern. I think, at this point, we need to look at the top candidates who are left and those guys could be playing in the Super Bowl. If they won't interview until there teams are out we could be waiting a fairly long time which would give us problems with coaching staff.

Let's just hope our choices aren't only Marrone, Austin and Mularkey.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's my understanding that you can't interview anyone still in the hunt. No?

With the Lions decision, the Titans are the only team with a HC opening.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

so we can wait weeks to sign a guy lol

great

#Titans

• LOL LOL x 1
  7. SalmonSlayer

SalmonSlayer Pro Bowler

I will be so pissed if we waited weeks to just take the interim title off Mularkey's title. That's feeding fans BS yet again. Had a feeling nothing was serious about the HC search when it was casually announce they have 100 candidates in mind.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. JCBRAVE

If we go weeks its not gonna be Mularkey.

Why would they do us that way?

9. SalmonSlayer

SalmonSlayer Pro Bowler

I don't have an answer, just really anti Mularkey and hoping he won't be the HC

10. JCBRAVE

You know, at least the Giants are making mistakes, thats gonna make life a little easier around here for me if Mularkey is retained... be one less fan base that can laugh at my team cause theyll be too busy crying about theirs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar