Titans Insider: Cecil fined $40,000 by the NFL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

Titans defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil has been fined $40,000 by the NFL for flipping the middle finger at officials during Sunday’s 26–20 loss to the Broncos.

According to the NFL, Cecil violated Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1 (b) of the Playing Rules, which prohibits use of abusive, threatening or insulting gestures toward officials.

Cecil’s obscene gesture was caught on camera by CBS.

The play that upset Cecil occurred in the first half, when defensive tackle Sen’Derrick Marks was penalized for a roughing the passer penalty on Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton. Officials ruled Marks hit Orton low, but replays showed contact started in the upper thigh area.

A year ago, Titans owner Bud Adams was fined $250,000 after flipping his middle fingers at the Buffalo sideline from his luxury box and from the field at the end of a game. Cecil bolted from LP Field after the Titans’ loss to the Broncos and did not comment. His players said they support him, and hinted they might help him pay the fine.

“I didn’t know he did it,’’ cornerback Cortland Finnegan said with a smile. “But I know he is an emotional guy and we stand behind Chuck no matter what. I know he’ll answer to that as a man. That just shows his emotion and we’ll stand behind him and chip in for him.’’

Cecil was fined $20,000 last December for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty involving game officials during a loss to the Chargers.

Coach Jeff Fisher said of the call that prompted the penalty: “I didn’t think it was low enough to warrant the call.’’

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't know what Cecil makes but Mr. Temper has cost him $60k and we're just headed into game five.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 6
  4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Was it a neutral zone infraction or was it the personal foul call?

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

That picture will never get old.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I was angry too. God forbid they EVER call a roughing the passer on Vince Young. Dude gets body slammed and nothing.

7. costarica2

costarica2 Banned forever

WHATSSS they have it all wrong he was calling a play a all out blitz or something.lol

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

40k for throwing the bird?

Isn't that a bit harsh? Christ, it's not like he broke the law.

[​IMG]

Wouldn't even qualify for pg-13.

9. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

Cecil fined $40,000 for obscene gesture (AP)

Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil has been fined $40,000 by the NFL for an obscene gesture at game officials. The league on Monday said Cecil violated a rule that prohibits use of abusive, threatening or insulting language or gestures to game officials. Television cameras caught Cecil using his right hand to make the gesture when officials flagged his defense for a neutral zone... LINK

10. Titanium

Titanium TITANFN Staff

Ouch! That's one expensive middle finger!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar