Titans hire new line coaches

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by KyTitansFan, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

MOBILE, Ala. The Titans made official the hiring of Giff Smith as defensive line coach and Bob Bostad as offensive line coach on Thursday.

Smith has 22 years of coaching experience, including three in the NFL. All three NFL seasons (2010-12) were as defensive line coach for the Bills. Bostad has 24 years of coaching experience, including two in the NFL. He was Buccaneers offensive line coach the past two seasons.

Here are comments from coach Ken Whisenhunt, Smith and Bostad, as supplied by the Titans:

Whisenhunt on Smith: “What I really liked about Giff was his versatility with the defensive line – he has done both 3-4 and 4-3, which means he is flexible enough to adapt and yet still get good production out of his players. I know from having to play against him two years ago what a difficult challenge it was facing that group and how well he handled them. So we are excited to get Giff here to work with our defensive line.”

Smith: “I think it is an exciting time, working with someone like coach Whisenhunt and his track record, being able to win and get to a Super Bowl. To be a part of that and also to be a part of what Ray Horton has been able to do defensively is an exciting time and I am looking forward to being a part of it. As a coach, I believe in execution of the defensive plan and being technique-oriented. I am aggressive in style, I believe in pressuring the quarterback and being physical against the run. I believe you can continue to develop players – whether it is college or the pros. Kyle Williams hadn’t been to a Pro Bowl and we were able to get him to his first two. I am looking forward to working with Derrick Morgan again and keep improving his game. I have known him since his high school days in Pennsylvania and he is an excellent football player and an excellent person.”

Whisenhunt on Bostad: “I have heard a lot about Bob through a number of people that I trust and I like the way his lines play. I know in his background, he has had a lot of success as a line coach and he did a nice job in the interview this week. I thought it was a good match for what we want to do. Another thing that impressed me about him was number of guys that he developed that have gone on to play in the NFL. That is good sign, that he can coach and develop that type of player, which is important for a line coach.”

Bostad: “The chance to work with coach Whisenhunt, who is highly respected in the NFL, and seeing his body of work and to be involved in his system is really exciting for me. As a coach, what is important to me is that the guys know what they are doing, that they are going to play with confidence, feel comfortable in the system and communicate with each other. We don’t want guys out there thinking they are splitting the atom, because it is a fast game and there isn’t really time to be indecisive. Technique is important and we will drill that and become consistent at it. The goal is to get the group to play as one.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. Rick Wampler

Rick Wampler Rookie

Looking so forward to 2014 season ! Go Titans !

3. Escape Goat

Escape Goat Starter

Bostad is another beast of a hire. On paper, this staff can go toe to toe with most in the NFL

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. sirjesse

sirjesse Starter

Still wish we got parcells and cowher. I am to the point my attention has turned to 3-4, quarterback to compete with locker, replacement for cj, and if Dave Stewart can return to form.

5. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Yeah, I too am happy over the Bostad hiring. I'm looking for great things from him.

6. Titanic12th

Titanic12th Starter

The more and more I look at Michael Sam the more I get a good feeling about him. Would look great in Two Tone Blue

7. Upright7

Upright7 Special Teams Standout

I watched a bit of the pro bowl draft this year and think I noticed two DT's from Buffalo and Mario Williams. 3 D-Lineman from Buffalo in the pro bowl is a heck of an accomplishment.

8. Upright7

I completely agree! Most of the best music teachers I had growing up weren't amazing players themselves. I don't think it is necessarily the case that amazing players can't coach or amazing musicians can't teach, they just don't get the mentality of players who aren't wired the same as them. I practiced 8 hours a day all through middle school and college. When I taught lessons in college I hated all my students except for the one lone student who loved to practice. That kid moved leaps and bounds in a short amount of time. I was hoping for big things from Fat Chance because he seemed to be hungry for knowledge, but sadly feel I might be mistaken. Dude needs to loose 15 lbs and lay off the Taco Bell!

9. Upright7

You got superhero vision man? Perfect vision is 20/20. If you had 50/50 it would mean you have slightly impaired vision, but you would be taking the test from 50 feet away instead of 20 feet away. I am pretty sure the first number represents the distance from which you read the test.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I have been running on no sleep for quite some time. That's funny though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar