Titans have some work to do in ticket sales

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Gorilla, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Gorilla

Blue Gorilla will play Safety for food

According to John Glennon on Twitter, today was the first time since 1999 that single-game tickets didn't sell out on the first day.

I don't think it's time to panic yet, as there are roughly between 1,000 and 2,000 tickets left for each game, which is very sellable, but in order to avoid local blackouts, the Titans will need to sell out every game.

There might be a little work to do in the ticket office... something they haven't been used to lately. Let's hope they can figure out a way to sell it out.

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Once Donnie Nickey left so did half the fan base

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I certainly don't think we need to worry about blackouts. This is a kinda weird year for us. We have VY fans who are butt-hurt. Fisher fans who are butt-hurt. And to top it off, there was the lockout. Which no doubt still has a lot of people steaming.

They'll sell out.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

How are other franchises fairing?

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

traditionally they do this on saturday right???

People who buy tickets usually are at work on mondays, just sayin'

Still there is no doubt the honeymoon is over

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Titans' Ticket Sales

For the first time this year, individual game tickets did not sell out immediately, or within a few hours. My understanding is that the tickets went on sale yesterday at 10:00 am, and as of now I can still find at least some upper deckers to pretty much all games.

Impact of the lockout, or the low expectations of the team, or all of the above? I assume that every game will still be a sell out by game day, but this is a first for the franchise, and not a good one. If the team tanks this year, that won't help ticket sales next year. For the first time since they got here and got established, I'm a little worried.

If they struggle to sell out this year, but manage it, and the team does badly, do they lower the price of upper deck tickets? I would hope so.

Sorry to be a downer, but I believe that this has the potential to be a big deal, particularly since the economy will presumably not be back on track by next summer.

7. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

The article in the Tennessean this morning said there are still 1200 to 2000 tickets available for every game except the Colts, which it only said there are fewer available for. Frankly I'm not surprised. It's a perfect storm for low ticket sales... lockout, uncertainty surrounding team, tickets going on sale much later in the year, tickets going on sale on Monday instead of Saturday, and the struggling economy.

I would expect that all the games will eventually sell out. The Titans wont let their sellout streak end over a few hundred tickets, so they'll either buy them up or get a sponsor to do it if the fans don't end up buying them. But for the first time the ticket office is actually going to have to work at selling tickets beyond the day they went on sale. Maybe they should get on the phone with the Preds ticket office for some advice.

So assuming that all the game will eventually be sellouts one way or another, here's how I see it affecting us.

1) More visiting fans - the easy availablity of tickets will make it easier for opposing fans to come to the games here. Sure there were always ways to get tickets before, but a lot of people don't look beyond the offical outlets. Luckily, we don't have any teams like Pittsburgh or Green Bay on the home schedule that have fans that travel in droves, or it would really be bad.

2) Less crowd noise - apart from possibly having more fans of the opponents, it's likely if we have corporate ticket buys that there will be some fans coming to the games who aren't as passionate, and therefore aren't as noisy. So homefield advantage might be affected.

3) Lack of general excitement - lets face it, there is a lot more excitement about going to the game when its the hottest ticket in town, when you have tickets that other people wish they could get. There simply wont be as much buzz this year.

All that said, the easiest way to overcome all this is to win. If the Titans come out and shock people and win their first couple of games, any remaining tickets will start flying off the shelves.

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I see the lower tickets sales as multi-factorial in rank order:

1) Value- Economy plus HDTV games. Game-day experience isn't worth the high ticket price and high concession prices.
    2) Team- Coaching turnover, lack of playoff wins/SB wins.
    3) Competition- folks can have their game and competitive appetite filled at the college level. This is the SEC.
    4) Disenchantment- people are fed up with greedy players and owners. Fans are tired of paying higher and higher ticket prices and in our franchises case, with no Super Bowl return. I'll bet the Packers, Steelers, Pats, Colts, etc are sold out.
    5) Poor marketing- This is particularly the NFL's fault. I have personally seen MANY fans driven away by the "Conduct Policy". I know of dozens of PSL owner's that gave up their tix because they were rung up by an opposing fan texting that the PSL owner was in violation. They were removed carte blanche without inquiry. The type of fan that puts money into the NFL is a fan-atic. Stupid "witch-hunt" policies like texting need to go and be replaced with a system that verifies poor behavior and attempts to correct it before removing fans.

I agree it is a harbinger. The Adam's family better get busy making the Titans fans happy because I believe the honeymoon is over.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Ill watch from home as always... you guys go buy them tickets so the titans dont ever move.

10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

#1 - All the VY lovers hate us
    #2 - All the Fisher loves hate us

I wish I could afford season tickets.. but when I have an 55" HDTV and the Sunday Ticket, why drive 6 hours and fork out a ton of money? Sure it would be awesome, and if I had the money I'd totally do it. The economy is down, and doing down more and more, and tickets are expensive. Add in the lockout + the expectations of the team, not many people want to fork out the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar