Titans have 2nd most cap space in the NFL with 19.97 million per PFT

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by munie, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I agree that Griffin may not be deserving of a long-term deal, but that doesn't negate the fact that it wasn't mis-use of the tag. The tag worked exactly how the front office intended it to.

They were determined to let Finnegan walk and there were no other realistic tag candidates, so they applied it to Griffin as a tool in working out an extension. As far as I am concerned, that is perfect use of the tag.

As I said before, the issue to discuss is why they were so sure that letting Finnegan go was a good idea. The issue is not how they went about doing so.

That's the only argument I have made here.

Some people are acting like it was bone-headed of the FO to not realize they could extend Griffin and tag Finnegan. They were never going to tag Finnegan, so it made perfect sense to tag Griffin.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

So the front office is stupid? I agree. We should have tagged Finny and signed Griff before using the tag on him.

What is the worst that could happen from that?

Again, that decision is dumb. I don't care about talking about why they thought letting Finny go was great... it's still dumb because we could afford to tag him.

Again, what is the worst that could happen?

:wakka: and don't even say that guy cause Finny aint that.

3. Alex1939

Maybe I need to start a new thread...

Why do you think the Titans are better without Finnegan on the roster? (when he could have been franchise tagged!)

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

It's a good topic for discussion, but it's not accurate to say that Finnegan "could have been franchise tagged" (with the premise that Griffin was always going to be extended).

We have no idea if Griffin would have signed an extension prior to being tagged and we never will. Maybe Griffin was dying to hit the open market and never would have signed with the Titans, but once he got tagged he realized that his best plan of action was to sign an extension. Maybe the Titans knew that another team was prepared to make Griffin a huge offer and they tagged him as a defensive move.

The front office did what it thought it had to do. It was willing to let Finnegan walk and unwilling to let Griffin go.

Maybe the Titans could have retained both, but we will never know.

Saying that the Titans made the wrong move because they could have kept both players delves too deep into the world of hypotheticals to really hold any water, IMO.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

uhhh 'the Vagician' only had value too the Titans

he hasn't put anything positive on film since Fat Albert was in 2 tone blue

6. Alex1939

Well I am obviously speculating that he would've taken the deal he recently signed.

And I would rather have lost Griffin but had Finnegan for one more season tagged. That would be more expensive than Griffin's tag but look at our cap space.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

at first i thought that the front office was just scared about the lack of free safeties in free agency, but after the long term deal i dont know what they were thinking. i think he was/is our second biggest weakness on the team. potentially a good player with a pass rush, but i dont like seeing people be extended only to rely on everyone else.

8. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

No...

I think the Griffin hate is funny, but be real guys, his tackling is the only thing lacking.

Outside of that, when he messes up he just makes it look really bad, like taking out teammates.

Reality check before you guys get carried away.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/27282/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-safeties

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

having a safety with tackling issues is like having a kicker without a foot. he blows his coverage fairly often as well. he is a liability.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

'the vagician' got blocked by a thrid string QB.

tackling is far from this mental midgets only issue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar