Titans Fall to 12-2 With 13-12 Texans Win

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Rapid Reaction: Texans 13, Titans 12

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

HOUSTON -- All who've doubted the Titans' ability to win a close game late when the run game and defense weren't good enough got a brand new Exhibit A for their evidence file Sunday at Reliant Stadium.

[​IMG][​IMG] In a game where a number of things went wrong and they needed to go score at the end to win, they couldn't, falling 13-12 to the jubilant home team.

But Tennessee's second loss falls as much, or more, at the feet of its coach, Jeff Fisher, as its players.

Fisher made a baffling decision coming out of the 2-minute warning, going for it on fourth-and-3 from the Texans' 32-yard line instead of allowing big-legged kicker Rob Bironas to try a 49-yard field goal. Kerry Collins overthrew Justin Gage and the Titans were finished.

The Titans started the day with the possibility of clinching the No. 1 seed in the AFC playoffs. Now, even if the Steelers lose in Baltimore, the Titans and Steelers will have a lot at stake when they meet at LP Field next week.

This is a giant win for the Texans, who endured an 0-4 start that included the early loss of their bye week and roof damage to their home field as a result of Hurricane Ike. Now, remarkably, they are back at .500 with two games to go, and with two more wins could complete the first winning season in their history.

The Texans got 11 catches for 207 yards and a touchdown from receiver Andre Johnson.

Bironas kicked eight field goals here last season in a 38-36 win and he's 14 for 17 from between 40 and 50 yards this season. The kick would have been into a slight breeze.

But it's completely unlike Fisher not to take a swing at what was hardly a desperation distance for Bironas.

To make things worse, Albert Haynesworth got his lower left leg rolled up on with 1:32 left. He managed to get off the field with some help, but losing him for any length of time would be a big blow.

Back with explanations and details in a while.

More...

2. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: The Tennessee Titans played an uninspired game as the Houston Texans won their fourth-consecutive win in franchise history in a 13-12 victory. Andre Johnson had a career-high 207 yards and a touchdown while Kris Brown kicked two field goals. Steve Slanton had 100 yards on 24 carries. The Titans offense sputtered at times with Kerry Collins ending the day with a sub-par 15-for-33 for 181 yards. Chris Johnson and LenDale White combined for 91 yards but saw little success in the second half. The win places the Texans at 7-7 and the Titans needing help from the Ravens and a win next week to have home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

To go deep into the playoffs a team needs to get hot and the Titans are anything but.

I have no idea why McCareins is on the field. He doesn't even try to stretch for a pass. I can't imagine his downfield blocking is so much better than Brandon Jones that he deserves to be the #2.

Collins is returning to the KFC from early '06. This was his worst game since San Diego in '06.

Finnegan needs to be fined. Hayes needs to be fined. Stupid costs you big games.

Our interior OL started out strong and then fell apart. It is a head-scratcher as to how they could open up massive holes early and then struggle.

I'm not ready to drink the koolaid yet but the Titans need to show a lot more these last two weeks. With Big Al likely out, and KVB still mending, it's time to see if this team is for real or if all the overrated talk was deserved.

4. wycheck28

wycheck28 Starter

ok i am so mad right now i cant see straight... i can take us getting beat but i cant take us beating ourselves...why do we keep throwing the ball to justin mccariens??? drop after drop game after game yet we keep trying to get him involved like he's larry fitzgerald or terral owens??? we keep forcing the ball to mccariens evening if he's double covered and its retarded... now i dont know all the facts but i would love to hear why on a 4th and 3 we decided throw the ball to justin mccariens on a 18 yrd fade route and kept the nfl's most reliable kicker on the sideline.. honestly if it was me i would let rob bironis kick a 60 yrd field goal before i would throw a 5 yrd route to justin mccariens.. Kerry?? does justin have pictures of you with another man or farm animals because it sure as heck seems like it..whats the definition of insanity??? continuing to throw to justin mccariens and expecting different results....

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I thought we were hot after winning 2 games by an average of 28 points.

We had a bad game on the road and still could have won. We gave up just 3 points in the last 2.5 quarters and should have kicked the FG at the end. Bad call!

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You want to use the Lions and Browns to gauge how good the team is?

They didn't get 100 yards rushing from the RBs on the 24th run D in the league. The defense gave up 375 yards. They looked flat most of the game. They continue to make stupid penalties. They are losing the turnover battle.

They need to find some answers in these final two games or the Titans may be one and done in January.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

4th down and we could get the go ahead field goal..Nope

Let's try a low percentage pass, with a quarterback having a bad day throwning to a below average receiving corps. Yep, that's what I would do. Nice call fish.

8. wycheck28

wycheck28 Starter

i agree the titans have been very inconsistent since the loss at home to the jets. penalties,turnovers, and inconsistent play from our offensive line have really made us beatable over the last several weeks which scares me...

9. wycheck28

wycheck28 Starter

i just heard the press confrence with fisher and he said the wind was really affecting bironis kicks from 45+ yrds from that side of the field and he made a decision before the game started that he wouldnt attempt a 45+ field goal from that side of the field... im sure fisher started thinking about how we are 11-2 against the texans and how the titans have always prevailed in tight games against the texans. i can understand his confidence and take the wind into account and i understand but me personally i would have put the most consistent big leg kicker in the game and said f*** the wind and tryed the field goal because i think bironis has earned the chance to try that kind of kick

10. wycheck28

wycheck28 Starter

i really dont have a problem with the titans going for it on 4th down but i do have a problem with the play call... u need to pick up 3 yrds for the ist down and you throw a 18yrd fade to a reciever that has 1 fumble, 2 drops . no break away speed and looks like he isnt even trying??? i have no clue why mccariens was even in the game at that point and if you are going to run 18yrd fade on 4th down wouldnt you want brandon jones or justin gage to run the route but i guess that makes too much sense... so yes i blame a little of this on fisher but i think heimdinger is the main one to blame... i really think mccariens has pictures of collins or heimdinger doing something they shouldnt...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar