Titans @ Falcons Game Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i think i can say in confidence i would take roddy white, jerry porter and maybe even desean jackson over all of our WRs.

and as for david garrard working miracles with his WRs this pre-season, he has a rating of 58.9 with 0 tds

2. Loc

Loc Guest

Why does anyone expect anything different. This team needs good receivers to help VY. Instead of drafting one we again drafted speedy RB (3 RBs taken in 2nd or 1st round in the last 3 years). We have not spend a quality draft pick on a WR. Also, our TEs are nothing special. There is a reason Atlanta let Crumpler go. Our offense needs game breaker, and we don't have that. CJ could be that, but that is a big maybe.

3. jfrancis04

jfrancis04 AKA jonboy_the_titan

I was pretty fired up before reading all these posts, but they've actually helped me calm down. We all just need to take a deep breath and realize that it's just the preseason. It's like Fisher (and every other coach for that matter) always says: you don't have anything to work on if you're perfect in the preseason. We still have a couple weeks to iron some things and get the FULL offense installed. We haven't even seen fully how the LenDale/CJ tandem is going to work yet.

I do think that tonight, more than ever, really showed that VY needs some help at WR. He has made plenty of mistakes we all know, but I don't think there's anyone who can say a better WR wouldn't be nice. I've seen some on this board complaining about him dumping off to Crumpler and the RBs. My question is where were you during the Super Bowl run? Everyone remember the McNair/Wycheck combo. I honestly feel we should get on the phone with Arizona and see what it would take to bring Boldin to Nashville.

For all of those critiquing VY's every move: lay off. We all know he's never going to be Tom Brady, so please quit holding him to that standard. You know it's not a very uncommon thing for a receivers to make adjustments on the ball. You hear that all the time with some of the great ones. You people kill me with the level of detail you analyze Vince's every pass. Think how you would feel if someone evaluated every SINGLE thing you did in your job. Would it always be perfect 100% of the time? I think not. Leave the film study to the coaches.

The good news is that this offense doesn't need someone to throw for 300 yds/3 TDs per game, it needs someone who can manage the game. I've constantly said that VY needs to model himself after Ben Roethlisberger. Big Ben is one of the best at getting out of the pocket, making plays, and staying accurate. He can manage a game brilliantly, but still step up and make big plays when needed.

So...I leave you with two things: 1)It's still just the preseason 2)The Titans don't need VY to become Tom Brady or Peyton Manning...a simple "manager" of the game will be just fine.

Oh...and please go get Boldin.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't understand what some of you are seeing out there. Does anyone honestly expect Young (or any QB not named Manning or Brady) to make every pass perfect? What responsibility should the receiver have to catch a ball which hits his hands?

Young made a bad pass for the INT but had a blitzing LB in his face. He threw a couple of bad balls to Scaife and one ended up being a 15-yard penalty. The one to his back shoulder was due to Abraham pressuring him as he did much of the first half.

His receivers let him down tonight. Besides his horrible drop, Gage lost the ball and didn't adjust his route on the TD pass. McCareins slipped on the first drive. I don't know why R. Williams was on the field because he's not able to make a cut yet.

How anyone can put all of the blame on Young is beyond me. He actually improved in this game. The Titans have some serious issues in the passing game to fix in the next two weeks.

5. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Why is it perfectly acceptable to bash the WRs and lay majority of blame on them, but its inconceivable to think that VY is the main problem with the passing game?

TJ, you keep on telling yourself what you want to believe. Unless we bring in Moss, TO, and Ocho Cinco, Vince is going to have to make better throws more consistently.

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

VY and Ryan both passed for 102 yards. Vy had and INT , MR had a TD.

thats the difference.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Yes, Young must get better. But receivers have to do their job and, on the most part, they didn't last night. You seem to be the only one who doesn't see it.

You blame only one drop on the WRs and put the rest on Young. Read the papers. Listen to what the coaches and players are saying. Young was far from perfect but he wasn't the main reason for last night's poor offensive performance.

But believe what you want. I'm beating a dead horse at this point.

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Any good WR would've caught the pass where J-Mac slipped and when Gage dropped a huge pass that would've put us in scoring position. If you want any proof why it was mostly the WR's fault last night look at the 2nd half. Until the final 1-2 drives of the game the WR's had 1 catch combined. I also heard from the game and the stat was even up on the screen that the team had a combined 8 drops. That stat came up in the mid to late 3rd so probaly around 10 total.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar