Titans Draft Needs

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

We have to take a Rb. Might not be Hyde but we have to get someone extra to run the ball with Greene. Would be nice to take our franchise qb in the first if Teddy is there.

It's gonna be an interesting day one. This push back game really sucked it up tho.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I'm not so sure we do have to take one. McCluster is getting paid some decent $, and Battle is good enough to be the number 3. I think McCluster is going to be in the backfield more than people realize.

3. Clark

He will be but youth at the RB position is paramount.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

First of all the notion that we would draft Jimmy G in rd 1 is preposterous. How is his name even there?

What other positions do we have where a rookie 11th pick might not start and play every down? OT, OLB, safety, DT, CB. So don't draft any of those guys either?

The most vulnerable position on this team is QB. We have an unproven player who can't seem to stay healthy. We do not have a first rate backup. Hello?

And how is it ever a bad thing to have 2 good QBS? So if Locker goes down we get pissed that a quality guy is coming in for him?

In the end the worst thing you might have to do is trade a guy so you get value back for him in a draft pick. How then is that a wasted pick?

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I am right most of the time.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

An extreme example of having too many QBs could be the cowboys who took Steve Walsh in the first rd of the supplemental draft in 1989 after they already took Aikmen with the first pick in the regular draft.

Since the Cowboys had the worst record in the nfl in 89 they essentially had used 2 straight number one picks on a QB. Stupid right? Especially when you consider that Walsh was a bust because if a weak arm.

No the cowboys would trade Walsh to the Saints for 1st,2nd and 3rd rd picks a year later.

We have had people on these boards who would have traded a 2nd rd pick for Matt Flynn at one time. Some would have done the same for the Redskins back up QB. The chiefs gave a 2nd rd pick for Matt Cassell and the Texans gave a 2nd for Matt Schaub.

Again how is that a bad thing?

7. Clark

Of course considering who is available at qb when we pick. Jags, raiders, Vikings could seal the deal and leave us with nada.

In the case there isn't a qb to take worth while I would like to go Nix in round one and Hyde rd 2. If by chance Hyde is gone, Van Noy would fit well in our new 34.

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

So what's so impressive about Nix again? Could have the same type of player in Ellis in the second round. Let's be real here the likelihood of us trading down is slim, being this is one of the deepest draft classes with very little "elite" prospects worth trading up for.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Good point but this list points more to the Titans needing to do a better job overall with their first-round picks than not taking a QB.

10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Yeah I agree. We have done an astoundingly terrible job drafting in the 1st round. But my overall point is just that finding a franchise QB is THE most important thing in today's NFL. And you have to actively keep looking and not just sit around hoping and praying that "your guy" turns into something he's never been. Not saying you draft a new QB every year or anything. But the days of being forced to stick with a 1st round QB for 4-5 years due to cap impact are over. You don't have to wait around and watch your franchise wallow in mediocrity for half a decade just because the QB you drafted was a bust (e.g. VY).

And when you finally do find "the guy" you typically are going to have him for 7-10 years anyway. So you have plenty of time to "build" and "add playmakers" once you have that position set.

All that said, I realize that sometimes guys take awhile to develop. And 3 years as an NFL QB is not necessarily a ton of time. But I'm not advocating for drafting a QB just for the sake of drafting a new QB. Locker simply hasn't done very much to instill a ton of confidence and optimism in my mind. He still can't string together more than 3 or 4 starts without going down to a major injury. And he's still highly inconsistent when he actually is on the field. I'm just not convinced he's the kind of guy you "wait around on".

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar