Titans downplay presence of replacement refs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

In the third preseason game, officials whistled two Titans for penalties on the same play. The only problem? Neither of those players was in the game at the time.

On Sunday, those replacement referees will be in uniform when the Titans take on the Patriots in the season opener at LP Field. But at least on the surface, the Titans say they’re not too concerned about the impact of replacement refs.

“I don’t think it will be that bad,” defensive tackle Sen’Derrick Marks said. “I’m not nervous. I think it will tighten up a lot more now that it’s regular season because a lot of people will be getting (angry) if the calls go wrong now.”

Might there be more potential for injury with replacement referees in charge of the game?

“No, they don’t control injuries,” guard Leroy Harris said. “The rules are rules and you have to play within them no matter who’s reffing the game. I don’t worry about it. You just try to have a relationship with them, talk to them before the game. But they’ll do their best to call the game. You can only control things you can control. So just go out there and play and don’t worry about that.”

Coach Mike Munchak noted that the Titans generally report 10-12 disputed calls to the league each week, even with the regular referees involved.

“You’re always going to complain about the missed calls,” Munchak said. “So I think it’s tough on (the replacement referees). I think it’s tough on everyone when this kind of thing happens, when there’s labor problems within a group. You want everyone back and playing the game that’s used to doing it. But we have no say over it. We have no involvement in it. But I think we’ll be fine.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Once the outcome of games become affected, I think we'll see a lot of pressure on the league to get something done.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The NFL should be ashamed of these replacement refs.

They SUCK!

I watch a lot of preseason games, and these fools have missed dozens of calls!!

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

And I bet you the players get mad when the real refs come back and call games differently. Right now there's no consistency in any of the calls. Theses players are getting set up to fail.

5. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

i think they're just going the "politically correct" route here.

they can't publicly lambast them, or else you won't get any calls on the fields. I'm sure (at least i hope) these refs know how to read headlines about them.

6. JCBRAVE

Good point

7. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Replacement officials are only wrong if the call doesn't go OUR way. he he.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of coddling of the elite QBs with these refs. Even more so than the regular refs. Which really sucks for us in week 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar