Titans Defense Wants Signing Haynesworth to Be a Priority

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Here's what I'd do..

Sign big Al to a 3 year 30mil contract, sign Suggs and Gay Ray each to a 1 year contract just for the hell of having cap space and for getting back at the Vultures for dismantling our team a few years back.

Lock up Fuller, Bo Scaife, Carr and maybe even Brandon Jones with the remaining $12-15 mil, and making it a priority to find a good K and P in the draft to take the place of Bironas and Hentrich. Ofcourse our first priority in April should be DE, TE and WR.

In 2010, I'd cut Bulluck and replace him with Tulluch, and try to find our diamond in the rough in either Ball, Ford or one of our other DEs to take the place of KVB. Maybe even trade away VY if he continues to be a non factor considering 2010 is when he gets paid the big $s.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

if we sign Ray Lewis and anyone wants to purchase two lower level season tickets next season, let me know.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

So I guess you aren't factoring in whether or not the players would even consider the kind of offers you're describing? Al, Suggs, and Ray would all laugh at those offers.

4. HornedToad10

HornedToad10 Camp Fodder

Haynesworth (rightfully) didn't sign a 4 year 40mil contract.... he's not going to sign a 3 year 30mil.... I wouldn't be surprised if a team offered 5 year $60-65mil...

5. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Let Fat Albert walk, but over to the NFC.
    It took 3 years to get him to complete a full season and I'm not sure he's finished any of them has he?
    First couple of years he showed up for camp over weight.
    Didn't have any work ethic until a fat contract loomed in the near future.
    Then there's that head stomping issue.
    I'd say the man is putting on a show. Once he has contract in hand it'l be the Ole Fat Albert again.
    I've said it before, but I wouldn't sign him.

6. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Why?
    Gay Ray's salary for the last couple years was 6.5mil.
    $5.5mil prior to that while in his prime. I'm assuming he would accept 6mil considering he's not getting any younger.

As for Suggs, the average paid in 08 for the top 5 LB was 5.5mil.
    Getting Suggs probably shouldn't cost any higher.

Screw them both though. Ravens suck.

7. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

If we sign Ray Lewis, how much do you wan for those lower level season tickets?

8. bgtitanfan

bgtitanfan Guest

why would the titans sign ray and suggs? We have a really good LBs. Bulluck, tulloch, and thorton. 2/3 of our starting LBs are veterans. It would be waste of money to sign a LB. I would like a corner and a receiver. but no way a LB. Especially a raven.

9. Sam Herron

Sam Herron Camp Fodder

Suggs would be a complete waste of a signing. The guy is a pass-rushing Linebacker for 3-4 schemes. We run possible the closest thing to the opposite of a 3-4 pass rush scheme. Enough said there.

Also, Big Al is going to get a HUGE offer, and I feel we shouldn't top it and let him walk. Let's remember, this guy was an underachieving, lazy player who didn't get along well with teammates and was the butt of a lot of jokes regarding stomping on the neck of fellow human beings. Then his contract year (surprise surprise) he turns into a beast, being the leader on a defense that spent 2007 carrying the Titans to 10 wins and a playoff birth. Then they franchise him and PROMISE him if he reaches certain numbers and incentives they will not franchise tag him, thus providing him the extra motivation needed to have another stellar year. Which he did. He played wonderfully. And as a fan, I had a blast watching it. But it is weird when you motivate people with $70+ Million what they can achieve.

It's also weird how people never maintain that same intensity after getting the $70+ Million. The Titans have no guarantee whatsoever that the once we sign him to a huge deal he won't go back to getting easily injured, surly, missing 6 games while giving a half effort in the other 10. And keep in mind, in two bigtime motivation money years, he still got injured fairly frequently.

So, I think the Titans should offer him what they have in their budget to offer, wait for Haynesworth to decline, and then watch him get completely overpaid by some lower stratus team where he won't be the same player and eventually will become irrelevant, while we continue onwards and upwards building through the draft and stockpiling young, cheap talent. It's what the Patriots do, it's what the Steelers do, it's what the Titans have started and should continue to do.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

yeah, and now he's the best defensive player in the league and those very same players he supposedly didn't get along with want him back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar