Titans D Not Getting It Done Against Run

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Seattle's Shaun Alexander 172-yards rushing Sunday makes it the third consecutive game where the Titans defense has given up over 100 yards rushing to an opponent. "It was disappointing not being able to stop the run," defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz said. "People made a big deal about giving up (107) yards to (Colts running back) Edgerrin James, but that was all seven-man front. We played the run really well that day. But these last two games we've been in a lot of eight-man fronts and haven't been able to stop it." The Titans (4-10) have given up four 130-yard or more games — Alexander had 172, Willie Parker had 161 and Domanick Davis had 139 and 130 — and seven runs of 30 yards or more, including 34- and 52-yard scampers by Alexander. The 130-yard games are especially alarming. The Titans allowed only five such games over the previous nine seasons.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Lotsa big cutback runs....lotsa bad LB and S play trying to keep up with those guys cutting back :sad2:

3. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

I noticed something in the past two games. It seems teams are running more on Sirmons side and are having alot of their success. It's either that or their going up the middle and finding success at certain points. Bottom line is, Kassell and Sirmon are liabilities and need to be replaced. In Sirmons defense, it's unclear whether he's 100% back from injury or not. Didn't he seem quicker then now before his injury? Oh and the last time I saw LT put a hit on somebody was during the Panthers game in '03. Since then, I haven't seen him jack anyone up.

4. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

Another disturbing fact: We've allowed more 100+ runners this season then we have in nine years. NINE YEARS! YIKES!

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I said a few years ago that the guy looked slow. To me it was always a tradeoff of unathletic ability (that may be a new term lol) for headiness, instincts, whatever ya wanna call it.

6. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

It looks like we need to go for speed at our LB position and get that instinctive/headiness/readiness mumbojumbo at the S position. Vincent Fuller could be one for that. Now we just gotta find another one.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think Sirmon is in the same mold as the type of players which made the Patriots successful. People here have been talking about how frustrating it is to draft projects who have the measurables but need such a long time to develop and wish the Titans had more "football players" on the team. Sirmon is that kind of guy. When healthy, he was a quality starter and leader on the defense. He was/is a coach on the field who could get players set in the right position.

Problem is, he can't seem to stay healthy anymore and the Titans have to decide whether or not to invest in a guy who hasn't been close to 100% for two seasons.

There was a time when there was talk he could move to the middle. I don't know if that is an option but an upgrade of speed at LB is a must.

8. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

I remember during the 02 season Sirmon was making plays left and right. Then he just disappeared and I heard his name less and less after that season.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

In 2003, he went down in that Pittsburgh game with a back injury where Boiman came in and played so wel. He missed three games that year and still ended the season with 141 tackles which was second on the team. Then he was out all of 2004 with the ACL and has spent this season dealing with it and other assorted leg injuries.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

"titans defense not getting it done against the run"

there's a news flash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar