Titans D-line ranks... 30th?!?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Alex1939, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

The Ravens have consistently had the best defense in the league for the past 10 years. If not the best, top 3. They only didn't make the playoffs because of their division and conference. In the NFC they would have had homefield advantage in the playoffs most of the past 10 years

2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

The three years they missed the playoffs, they deserved to. They went 9-7, 6-10, and 5-11. 9-7 gets you into the playoffs around 20% of the time.

You can argue that the division had something to with it, but the Browns and Bengals only had one good season each. Steelers/Ravens games are always competitive. If they can't win at least 3 games in that division, they don't deserve to make the playoffs.

They've always been very strong at defense, but that doesn't mean they should be considered a top 5 team over the past several years. If you ask an NFL fan to name the top 5 teams over the past 5 or 6 seasons, I can guarantee they will not mention the Ravens.

That being said, currently, they're undoubtedly a top 5 team.

3. bmonster09

bmonster09 Camp Fodder

I've got to disagree on Jones. He was injured a lot last year, but in seven games, he had four sacks, which isn't shabby for a defensive tackle. He also had five pass deflections, so he definitely has the reaction to bat down passes at the line of scrimmage. Next year, we will see this guy have a very good season if he can stay healthy.

Also, you conveniently forgot to mention defensive ends William Hayes and Jacob Ford, who combined for 9.5 sacks last year. Anytime I bring a guy off the bench like Ford who got to the quarterback 5.5 times last year, I think I have some pretty solid ends (that's assuming that Hayes and Derrick Morgan start).

I do, however, agree mostly with what you said about Sen'Derrick Marks, Jovan Haye, Tony Brown, and Morgan.

Is this a great defensive line? No. In fact, I wouldn't call it anything above average. But there is a ton of potential in guys like Morgan and particularly Jones. And even if those guys do just become average, there isn't a chance in the world that this defensive line is 30th best in the NFL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar